Issues with Find Next in Kate (Split View)

Could anyone reproduce this weird behavior in Kate:

1. Open two documents in a Split View
  2. Left Click at any word on the left
  3. Press CTRL+F
  4. Press F3

What will probably happen: Kate tries some funky move within the document on the right. :thinking:

What should happen: Kate should perform the “Find Next” task. What actually works is to omit the Step 3 above, but then you wouldn’t be able to edit the word you clicked before your search (in case you would like to perform a search by using only a part of it).

I tested with Kate 23.08.4, so selecting any word (left view) then clicking CTRL+F to search for it, then pressing F3 many times will simply wrap the search on the left view while nothing happens on the right view.

Was it a typo? I use the same version of Kate. Anyway, there must be a glitch in the Matrix. :laughing: I can’t reproduce it today and these days it gave me a lot of headache. It seems like another step is missing in order to reproduce it and if I come across it again, I will update the steps above. Thanks.

Sorry it’s CTRL+F, I think it may happen if the right view can grab the mouse focus in an indirect way specific to your usage.

I tested it again and it has something to do when there’s a text selection in the right view. Going back and forth through my virtual desktops is definitely another key element, but when I get back to my Kate and proceed with my original steps, I could reproduce this issue with my mouse pointer on the left view the whole time.

Can’t reproduce with or without text selection in right view. KDE + X11 + Kate 23.08.4

KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.10
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.113.0
Qt Version: 5.15.12
Kernel Version: 6.6.10-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11

I just had it again. The same reproducible issue. Then I closed Kate, made a selection in the right view, went to another virtual desktop and tried to reproduce it again and now I just can’t reproduce it. There must be another key element to this puzzle. After some time, it just “randomly” starts happening.

I have the same setup, except the kernel version, which is 6.1.71-1-MANJARO (64-bit).

If it’s reproducible, please report it to https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=kate