Issues booting after installing another kernel

Greetings,

I decided that I wanted to try to install another kernel besides my current one (5.4 LTS from the official Manjaro repository). I should point out that the one I’ve now installed besides my standard kernel (which I’ve kept as a backup, and that was a good idea) is the xanmod-patched LTS kernel (from the AUR), as I’ve been curious to try it for some time, and until now I had only tried installing custom kernels on VMs.

After building it, I edited my /etc/default/grub to make the grub screen appear at boot, ran sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg to make grub aware of the changes and rebooted with the newly installed kernel selected in the grub menu.

Shortly after, I was met with the following message:

[FAILED] Failed to start Light Display Manager.

I had somewhat of an idea of what the cause of this was, because it had happened a couple of week prior with it being related to GPU driver issues, where I simply fixed it by reinstalling my GPU driver in tty due to it being an outdated version that caused conflicts - but that doesn’t seem to exactly be the case here.

The next thing that struck my mind was dkms. I did make sure to also install the headers package for the new kernel, along with dkms. Since I’m not very experienced with the topic of kernel modules at all, I could only really make vague guesses, so I’m not sure if I even need to play around dkms in the first place or if GPU driver kernel modules are even a thing. So I beg your pardon for my cluelessness on that front.

PS:
My GPU is an Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti, with the latest proprietary nvidia drivers from the Manjaro repository installed.

If any of you could give me some guidance regarding this, I’d be very grateful. If any more info is needed, ask away. Thanks in advance.

Hello,
If you want a custom kernel then you need the nvidia module too for it, to match.
If you are using dkms with that (custom) kernel then you need the headers for that (custom) kernel, to match the version, and the dkms nvidia drivers, not mix them up.
Otherwise will fail, as is just happen with

Okay thanks. But when I search for driver modules, all I find that seems to be useful is the nvidia-beta-dkms package from the AUR. However, I heard that there used to be a stable nvidia dkms package that got removed for some reason and now only the beta remains. But should I just go ahead and install the beta one I mentioned and will I need to remove or reinstall existing driver packages?