Iso-profiles desktop-settings

While looking at iso-profiles I found desktop-settings/community/cinnamon this contains schemas, scripts and skel. None of this is included in iso-profiles for cinnamon should it be?
Note no desktop-settings appear to be in any iso-profiles.

The profile’s desktop-overlay folder is where you place files not available in any repo package - not packages but custom configuration files and scripts.

The content is relative to the final system’s filesystem root (/) and the contents is applied to desktop.sfs as a final step when building the ISO.

E.g. if you want to place some user modifiable scripts you can place those in desktop-overlay/etc/skel/.local/bin which then will make that script appear in ~/.local/bin for any user added to the system after installation.

Or imagine you have a theme customization but no package - then you can place the relevant files in desktop-overlay/usr/share/themes/cust-theme-name.

Thanks for that info but where do the “schemas” go? I can see I need to make a directory for them but where in desktop-overlay?

The philosophy behind the tools is that everything is a package.

This is achieved by a number of profile-desktop-settings packages.

If the package contains a schema in a schemas folder - the package installation process will execute a command to merge the schemas into dconf / gsettings.

I don’t remember the specifics but I vaguely recall something about gsettings and dconf automagically importing settings from specific locations in /etc/dconf

This repo contains the settings

Then this PKGBUILD for cinnamon

The current package() function

package() {
    cd "$srcdir/desktop-settings"
    install -d "$pkgdir/etc"
    cp -r community/cinnamon/skel "$pkgdir/etc/"
    install -d "$pkgdir/usr/share/glib-2.0"
    cp -r community/cinnamon/schemas "$pkgdir/usr/share/glib-2.0/"
    install -d "$pkgdir/usr/bin"
    cp community/cinnamon/scripts/* "$pkgdir/usr/bin/"
}

In your case of modifying the iso-profile without a new package it will translate to placing the schemas in the folder desktop-overlay/usr/share/glib-2.0/

If building an iso where to put desktop-settings folder and the PKGBUILD so they work?

If you want to use your own customized schemas - add them to the desktop-overlay folder

Doing this will places the files in the correct folder - just as the package() function would have done

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.