Is there an easy way to temporarily switch to the INTEL CPU IGPU instead of the NVIDIA GPU

Backgrund: I used my NVIDIA GTX 980TI for now over a year on Manjaro. Yesterday I played a game on my Windows partition (EAC) and suddenly my PC just crashed and didn’t turn on again. When I unplugged the GPU from the PSU though and waited some minutes the PC suddenly did start again.

Situation: I don’t know if my PSU is broken or GPU or something else but I do know that I need the PC to work temporarily with the INTEL IGPU instead of the NVIDIA GPU (which should be good enough as long as I am not gaming). On the Windows partition this was not a problem since because of some automatic process 3 minutes after the start via the motherboard HDMI everything was running smoothly (like at the beginning it only ran at 65Hz and then after the 3 minutes it gave me the option to use 120Hz and other settings appeared which is the maximum possible over my HDMI output).

The Manjaro Problem: When I now start Manjaro though problems arise in the sense of that the desktop environment GUI doesn’t start and even though I have access to all the ttys on the main tty I got ther error (got because I tried to do things and now this error doesn’t show any more only a blinking cursor):

[FAILED] Failed to start Light Display Manager.

Is there an easy way to temporarily switch to the Intel IGPU so I can still use my Manjaro Linux installation with a GUI instead of only via the terminal (it is my main PC) until I have found a solution for my actual problem?

Some logs:

# after login in tty 6 [Ctrl+Alt+F6]
$ sudo systemctl start lightdm.service
# nothing, but transfers me to the blinking cursor tty 7
$ sudo systemctl start lightdm.service
Job for lightdm.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status lightdm.service" and "journalctl -xeu lightdm.service" for details.
$ sudo systemctl status lightdm.service
x lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systend/system/lightdm.service: enabled: vendor preset: disabled)
         Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Med 2021-07-14 16:12:35 CEST: 5min ago
           Docs: man:lightdm (1)
        Process: 1352 ExecStart=/usr/bin/lightda (code-exited, status=1/FAILURE)
       Mata PID: 1352 tcode=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
            CPU: 42S

Jul 14 16:12:35 niklas-manjaro-pc systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Jul 14 16:12:35 niklas-manjaro-pc systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
Jul 14 16:12:35 niklas-manjaro-pc systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jul 14 16:12:35 niklas-manjaro-pc systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jul 14 16:12:35 niklas-manjaro-pc systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
Jul 14 16:12:38 niklas-manjaro-pc systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jul 14 16:12:38 niklas-manjaro-pc systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jul 14 16:12:38 niklas manjaro-pc systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
$ sudo journalctl -xeu lightdm.service
Jul 14 16:12:38 niklas-nan jaro-pc systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jul 14 16:12:38 niklas-manjaro-pc systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
:: Subject: Unit failed
:: Defined-By: systemd
:: Support: https://forum.nanjaro.org/c/support
:: 
:: The unit lightdm.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
Jul 14 16:12:38 niklas-manjaro-pc systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
:: Subject: A start job for unit lightdn.service has failed
:: Defined-By: systemd
:: Support: https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support
:: A start job for unit lightdm.service has finished with a failure.
:: The job identifier is 3271 and the job result is failed.

Some mhwd output:

$ sudo mhwd-gpu --check
xorg configuration symlink valid...
$ sudo mhwd-gpu --status
:: status
  xorg configuration file: '/etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf'
$ sudo mhwd -l
> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:0006:1912) Display controller Intel Corporation:
-------------------------------------------------------------
          NAME                VERSION    FREEDRIVER    TYPE
video-linux                 2018.05.04      true        PCI
video-modesetting           2020.01.13      true        PCI
video-vesa                  2017.03.12      true        PCI
$ sudo mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:
          NAME                VERSION    FREEDRIVER    TYPE
video-nvidia                  2020.11.30      false     PCI
video-linux                   2018.05.04      true      PCI
Warning: No installed USB configs!
$ sudo inxi -Gazy
Graphics:
   Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: 1915
   v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:1912 class-ID: 0300
   Display: server: X.org 1.20.12 driver: loaded: nvidia tty: 240x67
   Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.
$ lspci -k I grep -A 2 -E "(VGA|3D)"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
              DeviceName: Onboard IGD
              Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 7977
$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
# ....
[152.347] (II) systemd-logind: logind integration requires -keeptty and -keeptty was not provided, disabling logind integration
[152.348] (II) xfree86: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
# ....
[152.360] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
# ....
[152.361] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[152.361] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
[152.362] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[152.362]     compiled for 1.6.99.901, module version = 1.0.0
[152.362]     Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[152.362] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 470.42.01 Tue Jun 15 21:31:38 UTC 2021
[152.362] (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported MUIDIA GPUs
[152.362] (EE) No devices detected.
[152.362] (EE) Fatal server error:
[152.362] (EE) no screens found (EE)
[152.362] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
[152.362] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[152.362] (EE)
[152.418] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

Also sorry if this is a duplicate but I did not find a similar question and copied the logs via my eyes and Google Lense.

Yes, just remove the nvidia driver:

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia

Keep sure there is no xorg conf related to nvidia at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Then it should work with open source driver only. The dGPU will use the nouveau driver instead the nvidia driver.

However… I guess the Issue:

Sounds like the timing issue… that can be solved by loading the driver very early:

Use i915 for intel and nvidia for Nvidia.

It is a special problem with hybrid cards.

1 Like

Thanks for the very fast reply!

I needed to additionally remove some packages that failed the NVIDIA driver uninstall script:

$ sudo pacman -R nvtop cuda
# Then I could uninstall the driver
$ sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia
# Then I rebooted the system
$ sudo reboot

But I forgot to inspect the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (I just checked the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory which only contained a keyboard configuration) which was generated by nvidia-settings (it says it in the first line) which means XORG (on reboot) did try again to load the nvidia module only this time it didn’t even exist.

@megavolt How should I edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file so that it doesn’t use the nvidia module or can I just delete it and it is automatically generated?

Also I get this weird warning message now:

$ sudo mhwd-gpu --status
:: status
warning: could not find '/etc/X11/mhwd.d/90-mhwd.conf'
1 Like

Just delete it:

sudo rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Nothing to worry…

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help:

For the logs I additionally ran these commands:

$ mkdir -p /home/niklas/backup
$ sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /home/niklas/backup/xorg.conf
$ sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /home/niklas/backup/xorg.conf.backup
$ sudo reboot

And when I booted Manjaro again the login splash screen instantly showed and the only thing that changed was that I needed to set the display frequency again in the ‘Manjaro Settings Manager’ in the ‘Display’ section and my desktop background image was reverted to the default Manjaro one :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.