Is there a way to use another GPU driver without messing my installation?

I’m trying to install the NVENC patch for my graphics card but it requires a the 390.87 version of the driver while the one I have is 390.144.

Is there a way to replace it without messing up my installation since mhwd does not allow for specific file installation?
Thanks

Why are people editing my post?

I don’t believe there is a way to do so without issues. You’d need to downgrade every package that depends on that specific version, and also downgrade packages that depends on those packages that you just downgraded, and then same cascading downwards from there.

1 Like

If that’s the case, then here are the nvidia packages that I have:

Packages:
lib32-nvidia-390xx-utils 390.144-1
linux510-nvidia-390xx 390.144-2
mhwd-nvidia 470.57.02-1
mhwd-nvidia-390xx 390.144-1
nvidia-390xx-utils 390.144-1

Here are the list of dependencies for each one of them:

$ pacman -Qii linux510-nvidia-390xx                                                                               
Required By     : None
$  pacman -Qii lib32-nvidia-390xx-utils  
Required By     : lib32-libglvnd
$  pacman -Qii mhwd-nvidia-390xx          
Required By     : mhwd-db
$ pacman -Qii nvidia-390xx-utils       
Required By     : lib32-nvidia-390xx-utils  libglvnd  linux419-nvidia-390xx  linux510-nvidia-390xx  linux54-nvidia-390xx 

It’s not that complicated I think, any ideas ?

This patch is really important as it takes the load of the CPU and gives it to the GPU.
It can enhance my machines performance by a good margin. Since my CPU does most of the work, I would like to have that patch in my machine.

Because you posted your question in the wrong category: Your problem is unrelated to #support:plasma and is purely a #support:graphic-cards issue.

:man_shrugging:

Then take a Cold System Backup:

and then just do it and if you mess up, restore the system backup!

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like