Is there a shortcut / code for the "hamburger menu" symbol? This thing: ☰

Is there a way within this forum to write / insert the hamburger menu symbol, such as this:

Or even this:

I know it’s possible to copy + paste, but I was wondering if there’s some sort of code built in to this forum software, in the same way there is built-in code to insert “buttons” like this:

Enter

Here is the unicode reference: Unicode Utilities: Character Properties

TL;DR

No, but you can create your own keyboard layout that has this key.

The long version:

/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols contains the layout of all keyboards and you just copy an existing lay-out to a non-existing country and then edit that layout to include that key (E.G. Ctrl+Alt+Shift+H for Hamburger) and then select this new country’s keyboard layout!

:grin:

1 Like

The HTML entity for this symbol is ☰. So, in order to insert it in a Forum post, you can try this:

☰

The outcome should be:

If you want to insert it like a button, you can try

<kbd>&#9776;</kbd>

Outcome:

The keyboard shortcut to open this menu in Discourse (the software this Forum is build on) is the = key.

4 Likes

No, there isn’t. The Discourse developers thought about it, but McDonald’s protested that it was discriminatory and therefore not inclusive enough, given that they also sell Cheeseburgers, Big Macs, Bacon-Cheese Burgers and a whole other variety.

In addition to that, the vegan movement also protested because they fear that allowing the insertion of a hamburger menu in posts would cause lasting psychological harm to ungulates.

My proposed solution: use this button: :hamburger: It’s already built in.

:crazy_face:

6 Likes

Those might be the only feasible options then. :frowning: I was hoping for a built-in method, such as:
<ham> or <menu> or <tri>

Or some other mnemonic-based shortcut.

Brilliant! Let’s put it to the test!

Q: “Hey, how do I check my unread posts on this forum?”

A: "Click on the :hamburger: in the top-right corner of the page and select “Unread”

5 Likes