Is there a cloud service that really works on Gnome Shell

Back when I was using Plasma, I used megasync. But then I switched to Gnome Shell and megasync interface was bad integrated.

I didn’t want to install the extension to support tray icons because I don’t like to bloat the desktop with something that is not originally supported.

So I switched to Nextcloud which interface was quite good, but the developers updated it in a mess like the old megasync.

Then I tried other services like PCloud, Dropbox and Seafile, but their interface is not good, same as new Nextcloud.

Is there a cloud service that really fits well in Gnome Shell?

Google drive has always worked well for me in gnome.

1 Like

As far as I know, Google Drive does not have a sync app.

Anyway I’m trying Tresorit and it seems to work good, but it has to be installed from the binary on their site, there’s no maintained AUR package.

Just to make sure, did you try the native gnome options orjust some third party apps from the repo? The way gnome works for me is this:

1. Log into your google drive or nextcloud account in gnome online accounts
  2. Profit. Your Google drive/next cloud now appears as in the left panel of file manager, Nautilus. No need to sync anything, it just mounts the drive over the network so you can treat everything like a normal external drive.

Is this undesirable behavior, or did you just not try this yet?

I use the Online Accounts feature in Gnome setting in combination with my Nextcloud account. My Nextcloud file drive mounts in my file manager and it syncs perfectly.

It’s undesirable to me and I did not try it because if the network connection misses, I don’t have my files which I need to work.

I need my files on my local drive and an app to sync them on the cloud.

Okay, then there is nothing gnome specific about this question.

For google drive: grive, overgrive, vgrive, rclone, google-drive-desktop and lnsync.

For one drive: lnsync, onedrive-client-git and onedrive_tray-git

For nextcloud: nextcloud-client (with python-nautilus)

For dropbox: nautilus-dropbox, rclone

For megasync: nautilus-megasync

I hope some of these are helpful.

1 Like

I’ve been using tresorit for several months and quite like it, in the terminal or via the GUI. I originally installed it via AUR, and now see what you’re saying about it no longer being supported–I’ll have to come up with a script to download the tresorit script and run it periodically.

Where did I say Tresorit is no longer supported? I installed it with the binary downloaded from the official website and it’s working correctly.

I said the new version of nexcloud-client is a mess on Gnome because you need the tray icon and can’t open the running instance from the activity view.

And, if I’m not mistaken, the same was happening with megasync which needed the tray icon to work correctly.

Tresorit is no longer being actively maintained–supported–in AUR. Tresorit the company is actively supporting and developing the application binaries. I believe this is what you were saying–at least it’s what I said you were saying–but I hadn’t realized that the AUR maintainer had given up. Despite that, I like the service well enough that it’s worth putting up with the administrative hassle of updating the binaries myself.

Yes, it’s package is orphan. That’s because it’s difficult to install from a package manager. The executable is intended to be installed in the home directory with no root privileges (default to ~/.local/share/tresorit) while most packages are installed in /usr/lib/

The installer says that the app needs a location where it has write access, maybe to save some local config even if a config directory is also installed in ~/.conf/tresorit. That way, if you want to install from a package manager in /usr/lib, you would start it anytime with su, which is not a good idea for a closed source app that is managing your files.

So installing from their binary in the local home folder starting it with no root privileges seems the best decision.

I am the developer of the Linux OneDrive Client.

For Manjaro, use the Arch AUR package ‘onedrive-abraunegg’ as this follows the master releases.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you for the tip!