Is the wiki useful, what content is missing?

The forum and the wiki are 2 ways to help people

• In the wiki i can´t ask questions if i don’t understand something.
  • In the forum i may not get an extended explanation, and i can do no additional reading on a subject

What i am missing is the good interaction between the forum and the wiki. At the moment it seems to me like 2 worlds not coming together.

The forum should work much more actively with the wiki. How can you advertise that?
Forum users should be rewarded for using the wiki. Just like they are rewarded when they keep coming back or when they write posts …
For example, a link to the wiki often helps when answering questions.

maybe it would be possible to allow such links even with lower user-Level, or

From a certain level on, the suggestion should come to take a look at the wiki. Sign up there and help maintain the wiki.

In the introduction to the area with the [HowTo]'s you could explicitly refer to the wiki. You could recommend writing a howto first (if the topic is not already in the wiki). If the topic is suitable for the wiki, the user can then enter it there himself into the wiki. At this point, a link to the login page would surely work fine. Also a link to the rules for contributions in the wiki. So he doesn’t have to look for these pages in the wiki himself.

And maybe a page like this one would be helpfull for the wiki. (You even may try to talk @Fabby into this) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

In the introduction to the area with the languages you could explicitly refer to the wiki. An you could suggest that the user may look into the wiki in his language. Maybe he can contribute in translating. There may be the need also for a landig-page for translators.

I think a lot of people would help with the wiki, when nicely asked :sunglasses:

5 Likes

This would be indeed a good way of doing it, however this is also time consuming, and it’s up to a individual or group of individuals to want to do this task, being on the team or not and volunteering.

Me personally as I mentioned before I will not take on this task, maybe someone else will, anyway this can stiil stay open and be discussed, we will see if is viable to be done in the future or not.

This also needs a plan, what content is missing in the wiki and what should be added.

2 Likes

I would like to suggest:
If YOU see a post in this forum that includes material worth to be placed in the wiki:

• Ask the contributor if he is OK with copying this to the wiki
  • If you are able, mark the title with the tag “wiki”
  • If you are able, copy (part of) the content into the wiki

If you are not able to do this yourself, write a PN to someone who is able to. This way the wiki will grow faster. And good content will not get lost.

Andreas85

1 Like