Is the realtime kernel lagging that hard behind upstream?

Hey,
I am interested in using a realtime kernel for some light music production and lower input latency in games and I saw that Manjaro currently offers linux62-rt, but it says it’s at 6.2.0_rt3-2 while the normal kernel is currently at version 6.2.13.
So is the realtime kernel really 13 patch versions behind or is it just a naming issue?

You can find the latest patches always here: Index of /pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/

6.2 will be EOL soon. Pick something else :wink:

More information about realtime kernels can be found here: realtime:preempt_rt_versions [Wiki]

Ah thanks, I haven’t applied kernel patches before so I’ll need to learn that first… and then consider if it’s worth it.

You can also simply switch to testing branch and install linux63-rt as we already provide the latest.

For music production a realtime kernel is not necessary. The standard Manjaro kernel has most of the patches needed for realtime scheduling of audio

Do I need a realtime kernel to use realtime scheduling? | JACK Audio Connection Kit

For pro-audio using JACK, install realtime-privileges

pamac install realtime-privileges

and add user to the realtime group

sudo gpasswd -a $USER realtime

Yes, mostly the realtime patches get upstreamed to mainline anyway. Then the project to carry them separate is not needed anymore.

You should probably read first what rt kernels are used for. I highly doubt any system in this universe with manjaro installed needs it. :smiley:

1 Like