Is my installation broken?

Hello,

so this isn’t my first time I’m having problems with manjaro, but this time I have a lot of them.
After I completely reinstalled the OS due to it being unable to load the GUI after a audio-driver-change (jack/cadence didn’t work) I had following problems:

1. I succeeded with the auio driver but the playback in the DAW was stuttering

2. [Solved] I can’t up/downgrade the kernel to any other than 5.7 & 5.8 the others: pacman error

3. [Solved] I can’t upgrade the GPU driver to 450: pacman error

4. The ethernet driver (which wasn’t available from the beginning) drops out every now an then and has to be reinstalled

5. Blender doesn’t work (even after reinstall) but it did work at the beginning (loads and diappears) - Ardour had the same problem but after a timeshift downgrade it and reinstall it worked again.

Does manjaro really hate my harware or is it generally problematic with the drivers.

Should I reinstall the whole thing an hope it gets better or is there an other problem?

Thanks to anyone who took his time to read though this.

Hello,

Just passed by for this part:

Always use mhwd to install GPU drivers.

1 Like

And kernels. :slight_smile:

1 Like
sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

[sudo] Passwort für stevie:

Using config ‘video-nvidia-450xx’ for device: 0000:07:00.0 (0300:10de:1e89) Display controller nVidia Corporation TU104 [GeForce RTX 2060]
Installing video-nvidia-450xx…
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-450xx/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
Prüfe Abhängigkeiten…
Fehler: Konnte den Vorgang nicht vorbereiten (Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen)
:: Entfernen von nvidia-440xx-utils verletzt Abhängigkeit ‘nvidia-utils’, benötigt von cuda
:: Entfernen von linux57-nvidia-440xx verletzt Abhängigkeit ‘linux57-nvidia-440xx’, benötigt von linux-latest-nvidia-440xx
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

Remove cuda first.

2 Likes
sudo pacman -R cuda 

Check dependencies…
:: blender nees optional cuda: cycles renderer cuda support

Packages (1) cuda-11.0.2-1

Size of removed pacages: 5119,31 MiB // translated for forum

:: Verarbeite Paketänderungen…
(1/1)Remove cuda [#######################################] 100%
:: Starte post-transaction hooks…
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate…
[stevie@mainPC ~]$ sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

Using config ‘video-nvidia-450xx’ for device: 0000:07:00.0 (0300:10de:1e89) Display controller nVidia Corporation TU104 [GeForce RTX 2060]
Installing video-nvidia-450xx…
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-450xx/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
Prüfe Abhängigkeiten…
Error: Couln’t prepare action (can not meet dependencies)
:: Entfernen von linux57-nvidia-440xx verletzt Abhängigkeit ‘linux57-nvidia-440xx’, benötigt von linux-latest-nvidia-440xx
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

sorry if the translation is a bit rough

Remove this first.

2 Likes

Thanks, so that one can be ticked of (blender slill not running but that may be another problem)