Is it safe to remove the 'consolefont' buildhook?

Problem:-
mkinitcpio -P produces the following warning (on a fresh 21.1.3 install)…

-> Running build hook: [consolefont]
==> WARNING: consolefont: no font found in configuration

Digging through a variety of forums & the Arch Wiki I found the “issue” to be a blank /etc/vconsole.conf file, like so:

KEYMAP=us
FONT=
FONT_MAP=

Based on the recommendations in the Arch Wiki I changed that file to look like this

KEYMAP=us
FONT=lat1-16
FONT_MAP=8859-2

Making that change produced the following error from systemd
setfont: KDFONTOP: Function not implemented

There’s a github issue regarding this https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/16406 but the thing is, I really don’t care about customising the console font. Just gimme a reasonable default & I’ll take it.

So I’m thinking I’ll just remove the consolefont build hook, and my question is - is it safe to do that? The Manjaro Devs put that build hook there as default & I don’t know if it’s only for tinkerers or whether it’s important in other ways.

P.S. Yes, I know I can simply ignore it but in 12 years of school I only ever received 1 warning on my report card.

yes, that hook is entirely optional.

1 Like

If you choose not to remove, I fixed it in my Arch VM as follows:

To fix it, you need provide the console font name in /etc/vconsole.conf, here is mine:

KEYMAP=us
FONT=tcvn8x16

To find the correct console font’s names, you could view the list of them in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/.

Then run sudo mkinitcpio -P

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.