Invoiceninja does not start via snap install

I am using Manjaro KDE and the only way to install the Invoiceninja app (or recommended) is via snap:

software[.]manjaro[.]org/snap/invoiceninja

I am on KDE, 5.15 kernel.

Snapd is active:

sudo systemctl status snapd                           
● snapd.service - Snap Daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/snapd.service; enabled; preset: di>
     Active: active (running) since Sun 2022-10-30 14:08:35 SAST; 19min ago
TriggeredBy: ● snapd.socket
   Main PID: 564 (snapd)
      Tasks: 18 (limit: 18481)
     Memory: 33.4M
        CPU: 528ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/snapd.service
             └─564 /usr/lib/snapd/snapd

And trying to start Invoiceninja from the commandline:

invoiceninja                               
Gtk-Message: 14:32:30.938: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"

(invoiceninja:4292): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:32:30.953: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:3536:25: 'font-feature-settings' is not a valid property name
Gtk-Message: 14:32:30.968: Failed to load module "colorreload-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 14:32:30.968: Failed to load module "window-decorations-gtk-module"

** (invoiceninja:4292): CRITICAL **: 14:32:31.060: Failed to read XDG desktop portal settings: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.portal.Error.NotFound: Requested setting not found

** (invoiceninja:4292): CRITICAL **: 14:32:31.062: Failed to read XDG desktop portal settings: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.portal.Error.NotFound: Requested setting not found

** (invoiceninja:4292): CRITICAL **: 14:32:31.063: Failed to read XDG desktop portal settings: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.portal.Error.NotFound: Requested setting not found

** (invoiceninja:4292): CRITICAL **: 14:32:31.064: Failed to read XDG desktop portal settings: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.portal.Error.NotFound: Requested setting not found

** (invoiceninja:4292): CRITICAL **: 14:32:31.065: Failed to read XDG desktop portal settings: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.portal.Error.NotFound: Requested setting not found

(invoiceninja:4292): Gdk-ERROR **: 14:32:31.066: The program 'invoiceninja' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAlloc'.
  (Details: serial 257 error_code 11 request_code 149 (unknown) minor_code 2)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
   variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
zsh: trace trap (core dumped)  invoiceninja

Do I need to install xapp?

I thought snaps just worked out of the box and didn’t require host packages.

snap is a self-contained application.

If it doesn’t work as advertised it is a matter for the developer(s).

Do I need to escalate upstream to invoiceninja on github?

1 Like

In.deed.

I’ve had exactly those errors

Gtk-Message: 14:32:30.938: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"

(invoiceninja:4292): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:32:30.953: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:3536:25: 'font-feature-settings' is not a valid property name
Gtk-Message: 14:32:30.968: Failed to load module "colorreload-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 14:32:30.968: Failed to load module "window-decorations-gtk-module"

when attempting build Beeware Appimages on Manjaro KDE.

I’m not sure how relevant this is, but I’ve been working on some Beeware related issues.

when I run an appimage from a Beeware build, on my Manjaro KDE system I get the following errors… and naturally the app fails to follow the desktop theme.

Gtk-Message: 07:10:39.353: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
Gtk-Message: 07:10:39.356: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
/usr/lib/gvfs/libgvfscommon.so: undefined symbol: g_task_set_name
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so
Gtk-Message: 07:10:40.044: Failed to load module "window-decorations-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 07:10:40.051: Failed to load module "colorreload-gtk-module"

Currently Beeware’s Toga abstracts GTK3, so basically, as things currently stand any Beeware build is a GTK3 app.

I’m about to install Kubuntu on a spare laptop to see if this is specifically Manjaro KDE or simply a GTK/KDE issue.

I know you are trying to run the online app from a snap but why? I have been using invoiceninja from the browser for about 4 years without a single issue.
I just dont see what value this snap would add to the service.

I’m posting this as a separate post from my prevous.

There is a minor issue with theming in Manjaro KDE.

There is no comparible Beath theme for GTK3. On my system GTK3 was set to Breeze, and there is no Breeze Dark.

My point being that depending on the user selected Theme for KDE, there may be no comparible GTK Theme. This I believe may be the issue with the Invoice Ninja Snap.

In order to theme the Beeware app I’ve written about, I have chosen Adawata Dark, this is least similar to Breath Dark.

EDIT:

Installed the invoiceninja snap, I can confirm those error messages are irrrelevent. They are the same as I get with the Beeware appimages I’ve built, and they do not affect functionality, they are however related to Theming.

However if you choose the right GTK3 Theme

System-Settings → Appearance → Configure GNOME/GTK3 Application Style

the snap application will theme correctly, in spite of thse error messages.