Invalid signature from "info@jonas-strassel.de"

Since a few days, I am no longer able to update manjaro via pacman. The problem:

$ sudo pacman -Syu
error: manjaro-sway: signature from "Jonas Strassel <info@jonas-strassel.de>" is invalid
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 manjaro-sway                                          18,7 KiB  60,3 KiB/s 00:00 [##############################################] 100%
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
error: manjaro-sway: signature from "Jonas Strassel <info@jonas-strassel.de>" is invalid
error: failed to synchronize all databases (unexpected error)

So, I tried to recreate the keys and deleted the keyrings as well as the gnupg dir:

sudo rm /usr/share/pacman/keyrings/*
sudo rm -r /etc/pacman.d/gnupg

After that I recreate the keys:

sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman -Sy manjaro-keyring archlinux-keyring

But installing manjaro-keyring and archlinux-keyring does not work. (Same error as before signature from "Jonas Strassel <info@jonas-strassel.de>" is invalid)

I checked the gnupg file and the key is unkown:

$ gpg --homedir /etc/pacman.d/gnupg --list-keys | grep strass  -A 3 -B 3
gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on homedir '/etc/pacman.d/gnupg'
gpg: Note: trustdb not writable

pub   rsa3072 2021-07-07 [SC] [expires: 2027-06-07]
      A44C644D792767CED7941AFEABB2075D5F310CF8
uid           [ unknown] Jonas Strassel <info@jonas-strassel.de>
uid           [ unknown] Jonas Strassel <jonas.strassel@manjaro.org>
uid           [ unknown] Jonas Strassel <jonas.strassel@ioki.com>
uid           [ unknown] Jonas Strassel <jo.strassel@gmail.com>
sub   rsa3072 2021-07-07 [E]

This likely just a pretty misleading error message by pacman. In fact result from an attempt to avoid further problems with them, I removed the db signatures. Here is how to resolve it:

@boredland, thank you very much, this fixed my problem.

For everybody who struggles to install pacmans public keys, I can really recommend this step-by-step guide (scroll down till alven starts explaining):

1 Like

@boredland from the github issue…

This sentiment is repeated here a bunch … but I dont consider the matter ‘resolved’ in such terms.
It really just seems like its considered ‘easier’ to not deal with the handful of issues that can come up, such as from an unreliable network.
(I’m also pretty sure its one person with this opinion that does all the repeating…)
If signed DB’s were really so odd and impractical and unnecessary … why does Arch do it ?

PS … heres wiki stuff …

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Package_signing#Tips_and_tricks

Well, I just wanted to make my life easier in the long term, honestly.

Court adjourned.

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.