Interrupted update caused Kernel to stop showing on bootloader

My BIOS didn’t had an option for CSM, but Fast Boot was enabled… Probably because I tinkered with the settings to try to make it work.
So after installing the Kernel with pacman, I still was getting the error, but after disabling Fast Boot it booted no problem :saluting_face:.

But without running the installation through pacman like @Aragorn suggested Grub wouldn’t have recognized the newly installed Kernel, so the solution was his post:

# pacman -S linux61
# mkinitcpio -P
# update-grub
1 Like

To clarify, Fast Boot is an option often found in the BIOS; disabling it can sometimes be beneficial.

Fast Startup is a hibernation state induced by Windows, which causes many headaches in a multiboot environment. If you are multibooting Linux and Windows, disabling Fast Startup is necessary.

This is easily achieved by running:

powercfg /h off

… from an administrative prompt in Windows.

2 Likes

Installing kernel will automatically trigger the other two, hence, again, “-Syu AND kernel reinstall” is all that is needed.

Also keep in mind that if you (ever) need kernel headers you have to install those too, manually, with pacman. So now you know what to do if you ever get “headers missing” error while building something.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 8 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.