Interrupted during update, can boot into OS but weird jumbled text appears, sleep broken

I was updating Manjaro on my laptop and suddenly the power went out. I am using my laptop without the battery, connected directly to the power supply. So my laptop shut down in the middle of the update due to the power cut. I think the update was almost done?

Anyway, after the power was back I booted into my laptop and I was met with a screen that looked like this:

It however booted in the OS a few seconds. I am able to use the system just fine, and all my apps too.

When I did sudo pacman update, it says there is nothing to update.

I don’t have a TImeshift backup btw.

So these are the things I need help with:

• Is there any way to make my OS update it correctly again, without losing my data and system?

• When I put my laptop to sleep, that same screen appears with all the jumbled text, and it goes back to the lockscreen. The screen is basically unable to be turned off when I put my laptop on sleep. It stays on the lockscreen. How can I fix this?

Here are the details of my system:

Host: 80E5 Lenovo G50-80
Kernel: 5.12.19-1-MANJARO
Packages: 1269 (pacman), 10 (flatpak)
Shell: bash 5.1.8
DE: Xfce 4.16
CPU: Intel i3-5005U (4) @ 1.900GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500

Thanks, any help is really appreciated.

You didn’t do that.

Then you can’t properly recover depending on how failed the update was after the shutdown during update (lesson learned I guess, you should have made one, now you’ll do in your future clean Manjaro installation).

Maybe check the pacman log to see if something relevant can be found in it regarding the update state before it shutdown?

It maybe didn’t run the post install operations.

What happens if you run sudo pacman -Syyu?

1 Like

It looks like a keyboard input.

Have you tried this?

Sorry, yeah, I did sudo pamac update. And it said I don’t have any more updates.

I am sorry but how do I access the log?

After synchronizing the package databases, it says there is nothing to do.

You should not use sudo with Pamac.

/var/log/pacman.log

There has been a new Stable update, do it properly and see what happens?