Internal speakers do not work, other audio does = headphones, bt, hdmi

The sound from the internal speakers does not work at all. However, in the GUI it looks like it is working just fine and all other sound outputs lie headphones, HDMI, Bluetooth work just fine.

This is a fresh install of Manjaro KDE on my Acer Swift SF515-51T, LTS kernel 5.10.34-1 and trying other kernels shows similar behaviour, means not working.
The only difference is real time 5.9.1 kernel or older kernels below 5.4 where speakers work just fine.

Web is full of potential solutions, unfortunately none of them seems to work with kernel higher than 5.4 (including).

[    3.460423] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with PCI class/subclass/prog-if info 0x040100
[    3.460447] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: Digital mics found on Skylake+ platform, using SOF driver
[    3.491772] snd_soc_skl 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with PCI class/subclass/prog-if info 0x040100
[    3.491793] snd_soc_skl 0000:00:1f.3: Digital mics found on Skylake+ platform, using SOF driver
[    4.461260] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0: autoconfig for ALC256: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:speaker
[    4.461266] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0:    speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[    4.461269] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0:    hp_outs=1 (0x21/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[    4.461272] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0:    mono: mono_out=0x0
[    4.461274] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0:    inputs:
[    4.521632] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0: ASoC: sink widget AIF1TX overwritten
[    4.521637] snd_hda_codec_realtek ehdaudio0D0: ASoC: source widget AIF1RX overwritten

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. In the future, when providing code/output, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text so that the output looks like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
    Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
    Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
    Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

instead of like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.`

(as that makes both our lives much easier)

2. No need to do anything right now as I’m an editor here on this site and have fixed it for you already. However, in the future I might not see your post so review my edits by pushing the orange pencil above the post I just fixed. :wink:

3. I’m a bit confused: Does Kernel 5.4 LTS work???

:+1:

1 Like

sorry for that, will do!

sound probems started with 5.4 including. what actually works is 5.9 real time kernel, but that one has other problems which are even worse for daily usage (touchpad and touchscreen not working after waking up from the sleep).
what is interesting is the comparison of working 5.9 with not working 5.10 lts (attached), I can hardly see any diference in alsa logs.

So stay on 5.10 and there you need hdajackretask which is in the alsa-tools package, so:

pamac install alsa-tools
hdajackretask

In that screen you need to:

• Select the correct codec

• Click Show unconnected pins

and then you need to override one or more of the unconnected pins to the speakers you seem to be missing.

• Once you’ve done all of the needed overrides, you need to click Apply now and test.

• If that would give you an error message, you need to:

• Click Boot override
    • Reboot
    • Test

Repeat until you get what you want.

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

yeah, i saw this idea in other discussions, unfortunately not working for me.
there are three options that let me select speakers (internal, lfe and back), but still no sound after rebooting. other unconnected pings do not give option for any speakers. i will try different order and test.

unfortunately nothing works, pity, otherwise manjaro is great. going back to win10 as no linux with kernel above 5.4 works

I did a comparison of the two data sets for alsa-info.sh
( meld is easier than ‘pacdiff’ to see past the differences with timestamps)

Both data sets show the same kernel module in use - snd_soc_skl_hda_dsp

ALC256 pin configurations in !!HDA-Intel Codec information only show differences in the volume settings for speakers and headphones

For kernel v5.9 RT, onboard audio is shown as
Card hw:0 'sofhdadsp'/'WL-SwiftSF515_51T-V1.03-Guinness_WL'
But on kernel v5.10 card is shown as
Card hw:0 'sofhdadsp'/'sof-hda-dsp'

The data in !!All Loaded Modules shows significant differences

(non working) kernel v5.10 has 4 kernel modules for snd_soc

snd_soc_skl
snd_soc_skl_hda_dsp
snd_soc_sst_dsp
snd_soc_sst_ipc

But (working) kernel v5.9 RT only has snd_soc_skl_hda_dsp

So try blacklisting snd_soc_skl module for kernel v5.10

echo "blacklist snd_soc_skl" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alc256.conf
2 Likes

thx, appreciate the support. unfortunately still not working.

alsa log, after blackilisting snd_soc_skl and using latest kernel 5.13.RC1, shows same onboard audio 0 [sofhdadsp ]: sof-hda-dsp - sof-hda-dsp WL-SwiftSF515_51T-V1.03-Guinness_WL . as working kernel 5.9 RT.