Internal Microphone doesn't work while headset is plugged in

Hi guys! I just started using Manjaro KDE Plasma 20.1 on my laptop a few days ago. Everything is going well, I got my usual apps installed. I mainly use Discord and join one of my friends’ server voice channel, mostly when I had Windows 10, I usually plug in my headset and switch input to the internal microphone because the headset microphone isn’t working but when I do that, the internal microphone stops working as well. When I tried to switch it in the Audio Settings, there are two options for me:

Internal Microphone(Unplugged)
Microphone

I switch to the internal microphone(unplugged) and all it’s doing is just sending the output audio to it. (Note: Internal microphone starts working as soon as I unplug the headset.)

Is there anyway to avoid the ‘(unplugged)’ part at any chance?
Making the audio port thinking it’s an TRS connector instead of TRRS connect so that it’ll ignore the headset microphone when plugged in?
And sorry if there’s already I similar topic to this, I couldn’t find any non-archived forums but any help from here is appreciated! Thanks!

1 Like

I want Manjaro to just completely ignore my headset mic and use my laptop’s internal microphone instead and just use the headset as the output and use the internal microphone as the input. And I’m not looking to repair my headset, I just want to use my laptop’s internal microphone instead and Manjaro doesn’t allow me to do that properly. Is there a software that solves that problem?

Is there anyway to avoid the ‘(unplugged)’ part at any chance?
Making the audio port thinking it’s an TRS connector instead of TRRS connect so that it’ll ignore the headset microphone when plugged in

either of those are possible by reconfiguring the audio jack, but might not work with a broken headset

first, install alsa-tools (if it is not already installed)

then find the card number for the onboard audio device in

aplay -l

for example, my onboard analog audio device is card number 1

card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

use alsa-tool hdajacksensetest to find the headset connection

sudo hdajacksensetest --card=1

this shows the pin connection for the headset microphone connection to the audio codec

Pin 0x1e (Pink Mic, Front side): present = No

pin 0x1e connection to front microphone jack can be reconfigured in another alsa-tool

sudo hdajackretask --card=1
  • tick the box to Override pin 0x1e
  • select Not Connected from the drop-down menu
  • click Install Boot Override

reboot system to load the boot override

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Apparently, my internal microphone was not present but now I can talk with my headset on again. That was very helpful and again, thank you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.