Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03) self adjusts to 100MBit/s

My Ethernet controller Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03) self adjusts to 100MBit/s

igb 0000:05:00.0 enp5s0: igb: enp5s0 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX

using Kernel 6.6.30-2-MANJARO and Plasma/KDE (up to date) with Network Manager an measuring with iperf3 against another PC in my home network.

After I force 1GBit speed with

sudo ethtool -s enp5s0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off

it works just fine

igb 0000:05:00.0 enp5s0: igb: enp5s0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX

with 1GBit/s speed (measured with iperf3 against another PC in my network).
Any hints at what I could do?

Typically, this might be a broken cable. Or maybe something with power saving options?

Broken cable would not explain 10times higher speed after ethtool command

Can’t you just do it via KDE’s System Settings => Wi-Fi & Networking => Wired Ethernet? It should have a tab named “Wired” that defaults to 100Mb/s however, if you change the “Link Negotiation” from “Ignore” to Automatic or Manual, you will then have the option of selecting a higher speed:

1 Like

Tried this before using ethtool - to no avail. Only ethtool did the job - no NM oder KDE settings

I’ll drop this here for consideration, despite that it might be obvious… Relative throughput often can, and does, depend on the server(s) you’re connecting to at any given time. I would suggest that your performance with these settings;

is probably adequate. Trying another (perhaps better quality) cable might show some improvement, though I’m uncertain what you hope to achieve if, as you say, it now works just fine.