Installing nvidia drivers on manjaro gnome

Hi…Ive been using Linux for a few years.I used Ubuntu and Linux Mint and lately Im Using Manjaro but still a newbie so forgive my ignorance…After i installed Manjaro ive been having computer freezes a lot and i thought its because of the display drivers.I looked at Manjaro settings and i discovered ive no nvidia drivers just video-linux open source drivers…so i used mhwi command to install latest nvidia proprietary drivers but after installation i faced a black screen…in tty i deleted the nvdia driver and deleted and reinstalled video-linux drivers…black screen again…this time i used inxi -G and i realized i have a hybrid video card…and im trying to install bumblebee as described in Bumblebee webpage … i am not sure if i can safely install nvidia drivers this time…
I wanted to give my inxi -G output but for some reason this website doesnt allow me to give links…

   ~   :heavy_check_mark:

But I still am not sure if I am doing the right thing…Could you help me to do the right installation? I appreciate your help…

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

On the link posting:

Use the format below to post your info. (please no screenshots)

```
inxi output
```
`http://some.site/page`

2 Likes

What @hanzel said and:

1. The best tutorials for installing hybrid drivers are:

Guide: Install and configure optimus-manager for hybrid GPU setups (Intel/NVIDIA) - Tutorials - Manjaro Linux Forum
    and:
    Configure Graphics Cards - Manjaro

2. Know that Bumblebee is for older nVidia hardware that doesn’t support nVidia-prime but as you didn’t provide an inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width, we can’t tell you what to do exactly…

:thinking:

Well Fabby i am new to manjaro and also new to this forum so i didnt know the rules…and my knowledge of manjaro is in the very beginning stage…So if I get you right you advise installing nvidia-prime instead of manjaro…
I am posting my inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host output to you …i have an NVIDIA GeForce 940 MX device and Intel HD Graphics 620…
i have another question:after 2 black screens on boot,i managed to install nvidia drivers version 460.67 but on manjaro settings program only video-linux driver has a tick on the little box…my nvidia v.460.67 driver is absent…
this is my inxi screenshot:
Screenshot, 2021-03-27 21:00:25 - Paste.Pics

i am willing to provide more information if you want…thanks very much for your guidance…

No worries. I remember being new too and having to read a lot to know all the tricks of the trade too. :innocent:

Please read this again:

especially this bit:

:+1:

1 Like

Hi Fabby.I just want to say that I posted the screenshot because you asked me to give my inxi output and i thought it would be helpful to analyze the problem…Now i am trying to install the right nvidia drivers with the links you sent…Thank you again…

Next time, please, please, please don’t post pictures of text!

:unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn:
:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

2 Likes

Ok…I wont…

1 Like

I ended up with a black screen on boot up again after trying to install nvidia prime drivers …ill delete the Manjaro partitions and reinstall manjaro from a usb drive…because even the tty won’t work

Post that inxi information in text format that we’ve been asking about ASAP (even before you start installing, after booting from USB) and boot with proprietary drivers, not free ones because The 940 MX is still supported by the 460.56 driver.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Hi Fabby…This is my inxi output:

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940MX] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
  Device-3: Chicony HP Wide Vision HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
  Display: wayland server: X.org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: modesetting,nvidia 
  unloaded: intel,nouveau resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo> 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.4 

I booted with proprietary drivers before.The thing is system boots up with a black screen in that case…I tried the easiest way too:on Manjaro gui settings i tried to install prime drivers.The system booted up with a black screen again…

1. In the future, when providing code/output, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text so that the output looks like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
    Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
    Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
    Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

instead of like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.`

(as that makes both our lives much easier)

2. No need to do anything right now as I’m an editor here on this site and have fixed it for you already. However, in the future I might not see your post so review my edits by pushing the orange pencil above the post I just fixed. :wink:

3. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)

4. After booting to a black screen:

• switch to TTY2 by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2

• please post the output of:

journalctl --boot=0 --system --priority=3 | tail --lines=30
      tail --lines=30 /var/log/Xorg.0.log

:+1:

1 Like

the output to: journalctl --boot=0 --system --priority=3 | tail --lines=30 is:

Mar 28 16:03:01 murat-hppavilionnotebook kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1d.3: AER: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, (Receiver ID)
Mar 28 16:03:01 murat-hppavilionnotebook kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1d.3: AER: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, (Receiver ID)
Mar 28 16:03:01 murat-hppavilionnotebook kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1d.3: AER:    [ 0] RxErr                  (First)
Mar 28 16:03:01 murat-hppavilionnotebook kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1d.3: AER:    [ 0] RxErr                  (First)

The output to tail --lines=30 /var/log/Xorg.0.log is:

[    21.305] (II) event7  - HP WMI hotkeys: device removed
[    21.305] (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
[    21.321] (EE) modeset(0): failed to set mode: Permission denied
[    21.321] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:81
[    21.321] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:72
[    21.321] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:73
[    21.321] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:82
[    21.321] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:65
[    21.321] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:67
[    21.321] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:66
[    21.321] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 226:1
[    21.321] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:71
[    21.321] (II) systemd-logind: got pause for 13:68
[    64.054] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[    64.060] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:71
[    64.091] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[    64.091] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:68
[    64.120] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[    64.120] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:81
[    64.150] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[    64.150] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:67
[    64.163] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[    64.163] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:82
[    64.187] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[    64.187] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:65
[    64.200] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[    64.200] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:73
[    64.230] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[    64.230] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:72
  1. In the future, when providing code/output, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text so that the output looks like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
    Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
    Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
    Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

instead of like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.`

(as that makes both our lives much easier)

2. No need to do anything right now as I’m an editor here on this site and have fixed it for you already. However, in the future I might not see your post so review my edits by pushing the orange pencil above the post I just fixed. :wink:

3. The inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width is still outstanding.

4. Can I have the full logs please, 30 lines just won’t cut it.

:thinking:

Excuse my ignorance…How can i give you the full logs?I mean i dont know the terminal code to give the full logs…

You could do something like:

journalctl --boot=0 --system --priority=3 > /home/<username>/journal-log-today.txt

Then open the newly generated journal log with your favourite text editor and copy/paste the contents into a new https://pastebin.com/ post and share the link, this way you can either make it available forever or request it to expire in 2 weeks or some such. Do the same with the other part:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log > /home/<username>/xorglog.txt

and put that up on pastebin too

PS Change <username> to what ever your user name is, mine is spongebob yours is prob’ different.

Hi Marcoose…I did what you told me.The journalctl command didnt produce anything at all…the second command produced ‘‘There is no such file or directory’’ output…

P.S.I changed my username too…Thank you for your interest…Still I do not know how to install the correct nvidia display driver without breaking my system or without facing a black screen bootup…
I am willing to share more information…Do you have any more suggestions?

The command

journalctl --boot=0 --system --priority=3 > /home/<username>/journal-log-today.txt 

creates a file in your home directory containing all the system journal log entries with log priority 3 e.g. errors. I recommend having a little read here:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-journalctl-to-view-and-manipulate-systemd-logs

Have you tried to list the contents of the generated file e.g.

cat /home/<username>/journal-log-today.txt 

or even more succinctly

cat ~/journal-log-today.txt 

Do you have a /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. Can you confirm that, if so then try this instead:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log > ~/Xorg-log.txt

then confirm the contents are none empty by:

cat ~/Xorg-log.txt
1 Like

I realized I created a journal log in my home directory…I thought I was gonna get a terminal output…I created two xorg.txt files too but both are empty…I tried to post my journal log here but the website didnt allow me because the text has more than 150000 characters…It is too long…Here is my screenshot of my journal log

Instead of:

journalctl --boot=0 --system --priority=3 | tail --lines=30
tail --lines=30 /var/log/Xorg.0.log

do:

journalctl --boot=0 --system --priority=3
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log