Installing Natron - seexpr1-2 dependency error

So, my current setup is running:

  • Manjaro 20.2
  • XFCE
  • kernel 5.9.11

I’m trying to install Natron 2.3.15, however, it seems that the dependency chain that natron requires is:

  • sip == 4.19.22 (this one is the one giving me trouble, since it needs to be exact)
  • seexpr1-2 (this is the dependency that requires the dependency above to be exact)
  • openfx-io (this one needs the above one, but it depends on the one above that one)

So, now you can see the dependency tree I’m dealing with. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you all!

Maybe more like this:

─ natron
  └─ openfx-io
     └─ seexpr1-2
        └─ sip == 4.19.22

(whereas sip package version is 4.19.24-2 in repos)

This is a problem with the seexpr1-2 aur package.
as normal with AUR packages … you should check the page:

There you will see it is not a new problem … and not one that has been fixed.

Your options are basically to hack at the pkgbuild or to use downgrade on sip temporarily.
(as the package is only a ‘make depend’ - only needed to build the package, not use it)

Hmm, that is strange, but I managed to do so by doing this (for anyone else reading as of the post date):

~> sudo pacman -U
~> cat ‘IgnorePkg = sip’ > /etc/pacman.conf

yeah thats more or less what downgrade would do for you.
And remember you can just reinstall your current manjaro one after you get natron.

OK, even after that step, it seems the installation didn’t work. There was some sort of error I will re-create and post here.

Well, after your edit your commands are off now.
You only need the first one.
The second one would seemingly overwrite the ‘downgraded’ sip and reinstall the current version.
I guess we will wait for the next report though…

Fixed it to contain what I had to do to actually fix the problem.

I eventually ignored package updates for sip to stick to the one I wanted and got this (sorry, it takes a long time on my ancient machine to install nearly anything that requires make):

[ 82%] Building CXX object generator/CMakeFiles/shiboken.dir/shiboken/overloaddata.cpp.o
[ 83%] Building CXX object generator/CMakeFiles/shiboken.dir/shiboken/headergenerator.cpp.o
[ 85%] Building CXX object generator/CMakeFiles/shiboken.dir/shiboken/cppgenerator.cpp.o
[ 87%] Building CXX object generator/CMakeFiles/shiboken.dir/generator.cpp.o
[ 88%] Building CXX object generator/CMakeFiles/shiboken.dir/shiboken/shibokengenerator.cpp.o
[ 90%] Building CXX object generator/CMakeFiles/shiboken.dir/shiboken/shibokennormalize.cpp.o
[ 91%] Building CXX object generator/CMakeFiles/shiboken.dir/main.cpp.o
[ 93%] Building CXX object generator/CMakeFiles/shiboken.dir/qtdoc/qtdocgenerator.cpp.o
[ 95%] Linking CXX executable shiboken
[ 95%] Built target shiboken
[ 96%] Running generator for 'shiboken'...
Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (icui18n: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)" 
Detecting inconsistencies in typesystem...   [OK]
make[2]: *** [shibokenmodule/CMakeFiles/shibokenmodule.dir/build.make:81: shibokenmodule/shiboken/shiboken_module_wrapper.cpp] Segmentation fault (core dumped)
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:355: shibokenmodule/CMakeFiles/shibokenmodule.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:149: all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().

I did fix those above