Installing manjaro on Asus T100TAF (64bit system 32bit efi)

Hello! I am attempting to revive an old transformer book. This odd little piece of hardware needs a file called bootia32.efi placed in efi/boot before it can boot into an ISO. I have been able to boot into ubuntu successfully with this method, but it seems that manjaro forces dd mode when creating ISOs. I cant create an edit-able live usb. I get the message in Rufus-

“the image you have selected is an ISOHybrid, but its creators have not made it compatible with ISO/File copy mode. As a result, DD image writing mode will be enforced.”

and the option to create persistent partition is gone.

Does anyone know a workaround for this? I saw that manjaro has an option for building ISO images. I thought that might work, but when I got into it, it seemed a little over my head.

There’s a step-by-step guide online, which works for Ubuntu and Arch, but also Manjaro. (I would know, since I installed Manjaro Xfce on it, and still use it to this day!) :heart_eyes:

It’s not without some quirkiness, but it’s usable.

I need to review some of the workarounds I did and I can share how I did it.

FYI: I disable the touch screen automatically when I log in, as the battery is quite old (2012), and I don’t suspend, I shut down completely. Even on suspend, the battery can lose a lot of charge, and the touch screen digitizer also has an impact on the poor little netbook’s battery life. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply!
I have read through a few guides. I found from may of last year for 20.0.1. I wonder if in that version there wasn’t that same restriction on the ISO as 21.1.0? seems like the thing to do might be to install and upgrade from 20.0.1.

My goodness, you’re not joking! I tried everything I could to make this work with the latest ISO, but it’s a no-go. I think you’ll have to resort to 20.0.1, or any hybrid-friendly version in order to boot and install, and then later update.

I’m going to try one extra trick and report back.

However, you still need to grab a copy of the minimal i686 ISO (32bit) of version 18.0.4 in order to acquire a copy of the file efi/boot/bootia32.efi and the folder boot/grub/i386-efi

1 Like

LET’S FREAKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Starting with version 1.0.30, Ventoy supports IA 32bit EFI systems, like our cute little Asus T100 series!

:partying_face:

Since we’re using Manjaro we have the latest version of Ventoy in the repositories.

pamac install ventoy

Then simply use a spare 3.0 USB stick with at least 4GB capacity. You will format and lose everything on the stick!

sudo ventoy -I /dev/sdX

Use the correct device name.

After it completes, you will have a dedicated partition on the USB labeled “Ventoy” which you can click and drag ISOs directly into it.

Click and drag (or copy, whatever floats your boat!) the Manjaro ISO of your choice (I prefer Xfce for this tiny machine) into the Ventoy stick. Let it complete. Make sure you can safely eject it (in case there are still write buffers not yet completed).

Then finally, pop that sucker in your Asus T100 and enjoy!

:sunglasses:

I tested this with manjaro-xfce-21.1.3-210916-linux513.iso

No need to hack or modify anything! No extra files needed! No need to play around with different boot files or extracting directories.

To the good people who created and continue to improve Ventoy, I salute all of you! :sob: :vulcan_salute:

This is way way way way better than how I had to do it in the past. What a relief!

The above steps with Ventoy can also be done with a Windows PC using the Windows version of the software: Download . Ventoy

2 Likes

very nice work! Thank you so much! Ill give it a go right away. Cheers :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.