Installing AMDGPU PRO by Archwiki

Greetings!
I have an AMD card. I put AMD GPU PRO because they are much faster than Blender and, most importantly, Davinci Resolve works.
If you just put it - sddm does not start after reboot.
I came across a manual in Archwiki: AMDGPU_PRO.
There at the very bottom

Alternatively, you can extract the amdgpu-pro-libglAUR package to a non-root location, then launch the program that requires the drivers with the following environment variables:

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PACKAGEPATH/opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}" LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH="$PACKAGEPATH/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/" dri_driver=“amdgpu” command

I downloading “Radeon ™ Software for Linux® version 20.30 for Ubuntu 20.04.1”
I got it, there are a lot of things inside, I chose which contain PRO in the name
How to proceed correctly? I need to run Blender and Davinci with this driver

I understand what needs to be replaced
$ PACKAGEPATH - path to the place of unpacking the driver
$ COMMAND - running application

I try to do it, but I can’t.

1. change $ COMMAND to / opt / resolve / bin / resolve
    Davinci is trying to start. It remains to figure out the path to the driver
  2. Is it correct that I unpack this particular archive?
    “Libgl1-amdgpu-pro-dri_20.30-1109583_amd64.deb”
  3. There are two more inside this archive. They probably need to be unpacked too. But as? In this folder or in a subfolder?
  4. Am I replacing $ PACKAGEPATH correctly?
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PACKAGEPATH/opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}" LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH="/home/dez/Soft/amdgpu-pro-20.30-ubuntu-20.04/libgl1-amdgpu-pro-dri_20.30-1109583_amd64/" dri_driver="amdgpu" /opt/resolve/bin/resolve

The official radeon drivers for linux are horrifically out of date.
The package you got from their site is a .deb package and is not compatible with an arch based distro.

Manually installing drivers is a messy business.

There is an vulkan-amdgpu-pro driver in the AUR if that helps you out. I wouldn’t recommend though.

Afaik manjaro only supports the mesa stuff.

But there are instructions in Archwiki. Someone wrote it, for this driver.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU_PRO

Or… you can just follow these very simple instructions…

For proprietary OpenGL implementation, install amdgpu-pro-libgl (AUR).

For proprietary OpenCL implementation, install opencl-amdgpu-pro-orca (AUR) or opencl-amdgpu-pro-pa (AUR)l.

For proprietary Vulkan implementation, install vulkan-amdgpu-pro (AUR).

Curently (as of version 20.20_1098277-1) you can use proprietary OpenGL with workaround. You need to install amdgpu-pro-libglAUR only before launching application that requires it (DaVinci Resolve in most cases). Remove it, after your are done. Otherwise, your Display Manager (sddm, for example) could not be loaded at next system boot. In case you are already in such situation, just switch to the tty2 (Crtl+Alt+F2), login to the system and remove amdgpu-pro-libglAUR. Then run systemctl restart sddm.service , then switch to tty1.

Instead of using the “alternative”

2 Likes

in your exemple you did not replace it in the 1st occurence of $PACKAGEPATH only the 2nd one

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PACKAGEPATH/
1 Like

Stop what you are doing.
Undo all of your attempts/changes/etc.
Ensure you are running regular AMDGPU.

Then if you need the ‘pro’ extras … get them as addons from these packages:

Lets look at the main points in the Archwiki :

AMD provides a proprietary, binary userland driver called AMDGPU PRO , which works on top of the open-source AMDGPU kernel driver.

From Radeon Software 18.50 vs Mesa 19 benchmarks article: When it comes to OpenGL games, the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver simply dominates the proprietary AMD OpenGL driver.

Note: Users of graphic cards other than Radeon Pro are advised to use the amdgpu graphics stack.

As in … all fingers point to not using pro.
And I again refer to the ‘addon’ packages above if you need some specific component for some specific reason.

4 Likes

OpenCL PRO is required for Blender. This driver allows to work with much more complex scenes.
To run Davinci Resolve you need OpenGL Pro. Without this driver, the program refuses to run.

Here is a recipe to prepare Manjaro to work with Blender and Davinci Resolve:

1. Install Manjaro, Blender and Davinci Resolve :slight_smile:

2. Install opencl-amd 20.30
    AUR (en) - opencl-amd
    https://i.imgur.com/33ERjc6.png

3. Install opencl-amdgpu-pro-orca 20.30 or the pal version. Manjaro suggest removing the driver from step 1 - agree. After uninstalling, there is something left in the system that complements the driver from step 2. I do not know what, I am a designer :slight_smile:
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amdgpu-pro-orca
    https://i.imgur.com/8zhTWEF.png

4. This archive contains the AMD GPU Pro OpenGL driver prepared by my friend @grayich: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w34-78RuNej2CEJ-fFH8ufZm_Di-o8EI/view?usp=sharing.
    Inside there are two folders: “dri” and “x86_64-linux-gnu”.
    I put this folder at /home/dez/Soft/amdgpu-pro-20.30 Manjaro/.
    In the next step 4 it will be this address, you put your own.

5. Edit this script with your folder addresses:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/dez/Soft/amdgpu-pro-20.30 Manjaro/x86_64-linux-gnu:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}" LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH="/home/dez/Soft/amdgpu-pro-20.30 Manjaro/dri/" dri_driver=“amdgpu” /opt/resolve/bin/resolve".

Note that after “x86_64-linux-gnu” there is no “/” and after “dri” there is a “/”.

1. Run the resulting script in the console. Davinci Resolve should run. And Blender should have a fast viewport.

If something doesn’t work according to my instructions, I can’t help it. But I really hope that you will do fine.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.