Installed pantheon-code before dictionary file, now it's locked up

I installed pantheon-code on my laptop and clicked the option to check spelling, but I didn’t realize that I needed aspell or another dictionary file. Now, when I open it, I get the following popup message:

"No Suitable Dictionaries Were Found

Please install at least one [aspell] dictionary"

I can’t close the popup and I can’t close the program now without going into the Task Manager and killing it.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, I tried removing it via pamac, and I’ve tried using -Rns in pacman, but I can’t get it to work.

I’m still a bit of a Linux newbie, and I’m not sure where all of the install files are normally kept so I can’t manually go back through the /home directory to completely wipe it out and start back over.

Does anyone have any advice, please? Thank you in advance!

Use pacman -Ql pantheon-code. This lists all the files that the package holds. You can remove those along with any configs left in ~ or ~/.config.

Edit

I installed it without the aspell package and it works fine:

Try launching it from terminal and share output:

io.elementary.code

or ~/.cache or possibly elsewhere … depends on pantheon-code.
But thepackage manager will not // should not touch your HOME.

It works fine without aspell, but when I went into the program’s options and click the option to check spelling as you type, then it started to glitch.

(io.elementary.code:7587): Gtk-WARNING **: 13:45:08.267: GtkListBox with a model will ignore sort and filter functions

** (io.elementary.code:7587): WARNING **: 13:45:08.475: Error loading plugin: libhspell.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (io.elementary.code:7587): WARNING **: 13:45:08.476: Error loading plugin: libvoikko.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (io.elementary.code:7587): WARNING **: 13:45:08.476: Error loading plugin: libnuspell.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Install libvoikko nuspell hunspell hspell and aspell. By default these are not installed, so that explains the problem. Just make sure your system is updated and also you reboot it after the update:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu libvoikko hspell nuspell hunspell aspell
1 Like

That did it! I had two of those five files installed. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.