Installation on existing btrfs subvolume

Hi all

I want to switch from Fedora to Manjaro and want to keep my /home subvolume and install in /root subvolume - not Manjaro-Standard, I know. Both are inside a btrfs on /dev/sda4. No LVM, no encryption.

‘’’ Modell: ATA Samsung SSD 850 (scsi)
Festplatte /dev/sda: 500GB
Sektorgröße (logisch/physisch): 512B/512B
Partitionstabelle: gpt
Disk-Flags:

Nummer Anfang Ende Größe Dateisystem Name Flags
1 1049kB 211MB 210MB fat16 EFI System Partition boot, esp
2 211MB 1285MB 1074MB ext4
3 1285MB 9705MB 8420MB linux-swap(v1) swap
4 9705MB 500GB 490GB btrfs
‘’’
In the graphic installer I can’t organize it that way. Is there a possibility for my setting or do i have to make /home complete new?

Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome :wink:

Possible, but not advisable. However, if you want to do it that way. Then the only way is pure manual setup: [root tip] Do a manual Manjaro installation

Ok, thanks for that answer.

Why ist my choice not a good one?

Because config files inside the home folder can break from Distro to Distro, because of different versions also different DEs. However, when you can deal with that, go for it.

Ok, i think i give it a try.

Thanks for Your help!

Also, I’m pretty sure you want to install to the / subvolume, not /root which is the root user’s home directory.

Everything went fine - all problems were planned and performed by myself… ;o)

I just changed the distro and stayed with gnome, so no pain here.

@anon59284200 In my case “/root” is just the name of the Subvolume that has to be mounted at /, not the best choice i have to admit. (Just in case of other dependencies i mounted by subvolid)

Thanks to all for participating in my adventure!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.