Installation on Dell Latitude 5420

Hello all,

I’ve been trying to install the latest release of Manjaro (Gnome and Plasma) on a Dell Latitude 5420. Unfortunately, I’ve not been having any luck. I’m trying to install it via a USB stick but the system will not recognize the USB stick with either Manjaro Gnome or Plasma. These USB sticks work just fine on my aging Lenovo Thinkcentre tower. I’m running the latest Manjaro with Gnome on there now. Also, I’m able to install Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, and openSUSE just fine on the Dell laptop. Is there something special that I need to do in the BIOS for the installation to start?

Thanks for the help.

try disabling “secureboot” in BIOS/UEFI settings

1 Like

My apologies, I should have mentioned that I did try that.

Thanks!

Well, I just found two separate UEFI settings in the BIOS. Very strange. Both have been disabled and trying the installation again.

That was it. I’m not sure why there are two separate UEFI sections in the BIOS for this laptop but it certainly makes things more confusing.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Could you indicate that your post is solved?

Thanks!

For those who are struggling with this, the following is how I achieved installing Ubuntu using a USB stick with UEFI Boot.
1.-Prepare the UEFI boot USB stick.
creating-a-bootable-ubuntu-uefi-usb-drive from techbit ca

2.-Since the Latitude 5420 does not recognize the USB , use a USB-C to USB adapter and connect your regular USB stick.
I got the idea to use a USB-C to USB 3 adapter from the first paragraph in theregister com linux_nonapproved_laptop

3.-You should see your USB stick during boot

Hope it helps.