Installation into existing directory or BTRFS partition

Hey all, coming back to manjaro after a few months of distro hopping. After having tried Fedora, Arch, EOS, Garuda, I think Manjaro is the best :slight_smile:

I would like to install it into an existing btrfs partition. I have a btrfs encrypted partition with two sub volumes, one for Fedora root and one for home. I would like to keep the home sub volume shared with Manjaro and create a new sub volume for the Manjaro root.

From another perspective, I would like to install Manjaro in an existing directory (I can fix the home later).

For finding a good way to achieve this, I’m testing on a virtual machine. I tried to open the encrypted partition, renaming the existing subvolumes to non-standard names, start Calamares, and set the BTRFS partition mount point to /. However, as soon as the installation starts, it stops without errors and only a message about label renaming of the existing partition.

Just for notice, the same message is given by Garuda Linux…

Encryption adds a challenge here.

I would try installing on a separate drive with btrfs, then move the subvolume with send-receive to the drive you want and set up decryption (crypttab and stuff) manually.s