Install Ventoy permanently?

I have found ventoy as an installable package in the repos. Is there any advantage to installing ventoy directly with pacman or is it sufficient to download ventoy as before and start it from the unpacked folder?

Installing from the official Manjaro repo allows Ventoy to be updated automatically, through the usual update system. The advantage is that Ventoy will always be available when you need it, and it will be the latest version. I find it very convenient; it just makes sense.

Cheers.

2 Likes

It always bears preference to use the version from the repositories. That way, it’ll also automatically get updated whenever there’s a system update.

You do of course also have to individually update all of your USB sticks with a bootable Ventoy installation on them, but that is easily done through the Ventoy GUI.

2 Likes

sounds good, thank you

1 Like

In fact, it’s easy with the CLI aswell, at least, according to the manual. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that’s how I’ve done it so far. But the idea that it is also updated from the repos is tempting. Saves a bit of work …

This is the command-line that I might normally use, in case it’s useful:

sudo sh ventoy -i -r 100 -S -g -L VOLUME /dev/sdX
  • Substitute VOLUME for a volume label name to use.
  • Substitute /dev/sdX for the location of your USB device.
  • Preserve some space on the target device (example allows 100mb).

Cheers.

1 Like

:+1: :beers:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.