Install Synology Active Backup for Business

Hello,

Im new in Manjaro. My last System was Ubuntu, and now im a happy new Manjaroer :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if there is a possibility to install Synology Active Backup for Business client on Manjaro?

Hi @TuxyLord, and welcome!

Searching the AUR, I found many Synology-related packages:

$ pamac search synology
synodl                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   0.3.1-1        AUR
Command-line client for Synology's DownloadStation
synochat                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 1.1.1.57-1     AUR
Synology Chat Client is the desktop client software of Synology Chat.
nzb-monkey                                                                                                                                                                                                                               v0.2.7-1       AUR
A Reference implementation of how to handle a NZBLNK-URI, with support for SABnzbd, NZBGet and Synology Download Station
electorrent-bin                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2.7.2-1        AUR
A remote control client for µTorrent, qBittorrent, rTorrent, Transmission, Synology & Deluge
electorrent                                                                                                                                                                                                                              2.7.2-1        AUR
A remote control client for µTorrent, qBittorrent, rTorrent, Transmission, Synology & Deluge
cloudstation-3.0                                                                                                                                                                                                                         3111-1         AUR
Synology Cloud Station. This version is for DSM versions that only works with CloudStation 3.0 (DSM 4.2 on a DS209 for example)
synology-uploader-photos                                                                                                                                                                                                                 5.0.4418-3     AUR
uploader photos for Photo Station on NAS synology
synology-note-station                                                                                                                                                                                                                    2.2.1_553-1    AUR
Synology Note Station Client connects you with Note Station on your Synology NAS. You can manage all the notes/to-do list offline, right from your local computer.
synology-hyper-backup-explorer                                                                                                                                                                                                           2.2.2.0141-2   AUR
A desktop tool for browsing, decrypting, and extracting different versions of backup data in Hyper Backup repositories
synology-drive                                                                                                                                                                                                                           3.0.2_12682-1  AUR
Drive for PC, the desktop utility of the DSM add-on package, Drive, allows you to sync and share files owned by you or shared by others between a centralized Synology NAS and multiple client computers.
synology-cloud-sync-decryption-tool                                                                                                                                                                                                      018-1          AUR
A desktop tool to decrypt data encrypted by Cloud Sync
synology-cloud-station-drive                                                                                                                                                                                                             4.3.3.4469-2   AUR
An application which sync files between your computers and Synology NAS
synology-cloud-station-backup                                                                                                                                                                                                            4469-1         AUR
A backup service that allows you to back up your files from multiple client computers to a centralized Synology NAS
synology-assistant                                                                                                                                                                                                                       7.0.50029-1    AUR
Synology Assistant is a desktop utility that searches for Synology servers within the local area network. It allows you to search and connect to your Synology server or set up Wake on LAN (WOL).

However, I didn’t find something specific named “Active Backup”. Perhaps it’s part of the synology-cloud-station-drive package. You can install it to check with:

pamac build synology-cloud-station-drive

Really, really, really hope this helps!

Welcome!

Install synology-cloud-station-backup from the AUR and follow this guide:

synology-cloud-station-backup and synology-cloud-station-drive were combined into a single client and have since been deprecated.

The new combined client is synology-driveAUR

I’m not sure if that’s the same as their enterprise solution, but that’s what I’ve been using to backup my manjaro installs to my personal Synology NAS.

1 Like

Hello,

thanks for your answers.

Ive meant Active Backup for Business, thats different to cloud station and drive.

With drive and cloud station you have an alltime backup everytime you change something.

With Active Backup, you will have bare metal restore and something more.

Looks like linux support was added in 2.2.0 as of 2021/09/02.

However, your Synology server needs to be running DSM 7 or newer for the agent to be available (you would download the agent from the synology server).

So step 1 would be to check the DSM version you’re running. Step 2 would be to download the agent directly from the synology server (if it is available).

They likely only provide binaries for debian, which isn’t is a bad thing - it just means a few extra steps for other linux distributions.

For an automated solution, you can potentially use debtapAUR to convert the deb file into an arch package for you.

If you need to make manual changes to the package, you can create a new PKGBUILD hased on the one for synology-drive.

Ok thanks.

DSM 7 is running on my Diskstation

Deptap isnt working, because of missing .deb package . There is only an install.run package inside the zip Package.

In that case, you should be able to run the install.run package directly. It won’t be managed by the package manager, but hopefully it won’t conflict with anything.

I’ve used other (unrelated) .run packages on manjaro without any issues. Hopefully that will be the case with this one.

Unfortunately it wont run. I get the message that it will run only on deb based Distros. :roll_eyes:

dang. well, if you want to stick with an arch-based distro, one last possible option is distroboxAUR. this utility lets you install and run applications built for other distros on your system via docker containers.

it’s not limited like snap and flatpak, so the backup solution should (theoretically) be able to access everything you’d need to backup.

I haven’t tried that solution for anything yet, as I only just recently learned about it.

Ok,

thank you.

I think im gonna look for something similar to use for backingup my system.

Well, i moved from Kubuntu to Manjaro, so lets see what journey this brings.

Back to Kubuntu is no Option for me.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.