Install errors, no grub and cannot update

Finally decided on trying Manjaro, install was easy, already have 2 other distros (Ubuntu and MX Linux) and chose to install Manjaro onto a 250GB HDD (50Gb for Ubuntu, 200GB free space for Manjaro)

After install got the error ‘grub install fail’, rebooting it went to the existing MX Linux grub. So went into MX Linux and did a grub update which found Manjaro so was able to reboot and choose Manjaro.

In Manjaro, tried to up date but got endless messages about ‘invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)’ and other errors about invalid keyrings. Have spent the past couple of hours going through many posts on this forum, trying every solution I could find but am getting nowhere and the same errors persist.

This is the first time I have encountered errors like this on Linux, was recommended to try Manjaro as ‘everything will work on this distro’, but I cant seem to get past the very first hurdle… Package I used to install is manjaro-xfce-21.3.7-220816-linux515.iso.

Not sure if the grub issue is connected with the keyring thingy, but if anyone can help with either to get me going?

Just noticed that I cant choose a wifi network to connect to as options are greyed out, another keyring issue?

I’m surprised this worked, because typically you can’t boot Manjaro with a bootloader installed by another distro, because Manjaro has a customized Grub.
I recommend you reinstall Manjaro. If the PGP signature issues persist after that, post your errors here.
When your Wifi doesn’t work, it’s normally a driver problem, no? Can’t imagine it being a package signing problem…

I don’t think it is connected to the gpg issue.

1. Mostly likely if grub failed, then it failed to create an efi entry in your UEFI-Bootloader. NVRAM is full?
  2. manjaro-xfce-21.3.7-220816-linux515.iso looks quite outdated right now. I use already 22.0.0, but I am on unstable branch… anyway. A workaround, to get the current gpg keys is that:
# update mirrors
sudo pacman-mirrors -c Germany # or any other Country
sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5
# remove gnupg and re-init it
sudo rm -rv /etc/pacman.d/gnupg
sudo pacman-key --init
# remove pacman cache
sudo rm -Rf /var/cache/pacman/pkg/*
# download the newest packages which contains the gpg keys
sudo mkdir -pv $HOME/.cache/pkg/ 
# !!! Don't import keys here... so type "n" if asking. !!!
sudo pacman -Syw archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring --cachedir $HOME/.cache/pkg/
# remove the signatures
sudo rm -f $HOME/.cache/pkg/*.sig
# Install the packages
sudo pacman -U $HOME/.cache/pkg/*.tar.zst
# clear the cache
sudo pacman -Sc
# Remove the downloaded packages again
sudo rm -Rf $HOME/.cache/pkg/

After that the current gpg keys should be installed and you can upgrade as usual. That happens when the current ISO (snapshot) is too old. 2 months without update is already too old.

Who the heck said this? :laughing: Maybe because of the AUR most things can actually work, where developers prefer Debian based or RedHat based Systems, but does “everything” work? no… Beside that AUR is fully user driven and is pure optional.

From what I’ve heard, AUR is the thing that tends to screw things up in Manjaro because of a dependency mismatch in package versions between AUR and Manjaro repos - and that you should have a more stable system if you stay away from AUR completely.
AUR giveth us all the software in the world, and it taketh away law and order in the system

That is another weakness of Manjaro imo. It’s a rolling release, which means you have to keep it updated in a timely manner - otherwise you’lle run into these things with old signatures etc.
The advantage of that, which people want to have a rolling release for, is you can always have the newest software. Look to Debian for the opposite philosophy.

Partially true… if it comes to software which provides only deb/rpm packages, or dkms drivers (wifi) or just printer drivers… the AUR is sometimes needed to make the installation as comfortable as possible.

Not that easy… There are great contributors on the AUR, but not everything is tested for Manjaro.

If you want that picture of “Law and Order” then the AUR on Arch-based aswell the PPA on Debian-based System are a so called Black Market, where the government don’t take a foot into it.

While you call it a weakness, I would call it a strength. However if you cannot deal with that then stay away from rolling releases. Every weakness can be a strength it is just a point of view of the user.