Install Brother printer

I am new in Manjaro but managed to discover the first specificities already. I like very much this distribution and would like to adopt it completely (coming from debian).

I am still blocked with the scanner/printer Brother DCP-1610W (1612 in fact) and the card reader, the rest is really esay and clear.

For the printer, I did first install the drivers and scan drive (brscan4) with AUR.

The printer is well detected using the scan function, printer in parameter and cups trough the browser (because the classical method I did know did not work) but I cannot print or scan anything???

I am really stuck. Can you help me?

This is not too clear to me. Is CUPS installed and active?
please post results of : systemctl status cups.service

Is this driver from the AUR installed? AUR (en) - brother-dcp1610w
Have you added the printer from localhost:631 in browser if CUPS is working?

Just in case; CUPS needed manual intervention recently. This is how it went, in terminal:

sudo systemctl disable --now org.cups.cupsd.socket
sudo systemctl disable --now org.cups.cupsd.service
sudo systemctl disable --now org.cups.cupsd.path
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.service
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.socket
sudo systemctl enable --now cups.path 

This is the output.
cups.service - CUPS Scheduler
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled; vendor pres>
Active: active (running) since Thu 2021-07-08 16:08:21 CEST; 1h 2min ago
TriggeredBy: ● cups.path
● cups.socket
Docs: man:cupsd(8)
Main PID: 589 (cupsd)
Tasks: 1 (limit: 11903)
Memory: 6.5M
CPU: 19ms
CGroup: /system.slice/cups.service
└─589 /usr/bin/cupsd -l

And YES, I did install the driver (this was my first action in fact)
I will now look at the rest of your suggestion/question on CUPS (I was’nt familiar with CUPS but as the driver was not giving the result I discovered the CUPS option that runs
in parallel)

I do try this, the first tree lines return “failed to disable” and after the next 3 lines, I do not see any difference.

The scanner and cups, “recognize” the printer/scanner (list of available printer and so on) but are “Unable to locate”. I do not quite understand because th IP is recognized (working on wifi with fixed IP)

The following is for a different Brother printer but it should be of some help. I have a Brother laser printer and I only use USB to print (rarely).

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CUPS

It also could be a problem with your router configuration. Does the Printer have a static address? Are you using MAC address filtering?

Thank you, very interesting indications…

A first difference considers the creation of a ld user. Something I had not done, and there are small details on the cups (ipp instaead of Brother that had been "discovered by CUPS).
But, all this does not change, the printer appears in the list but is “not found” by CUPS???

I do not know what to do, is there a way to make an installation diagnostic for the printer, to check the real status of this machine?

Just like you I recently installed the same printer, brother dcp-1612, by add / building the AUR file, one for the printer and one for the scanner. On Manjaro KDE edition.
(After selecting the AUR you can choose details and then see the reference to
DCP-1610W | Others | Brother Solutions Center )
Then choose in the Manjaro Menu Printers, Add Printer and find your networked printer (since you have the printer connected via WiFi to your network).
I did not have to do anything with the CUPS ‘manual intervention’.
The scanner is recognized and works as expected via Manjaro Menu Skanlite.

Thanks for your patience…

I understand that this is exactly the procedure I am following (I did try CUPS afterwards because it was apparently easier and the first option does not work).

Do you remember the packages from AUR? I did install brother-dcp1610w 3.0.1-1 and brscan4. Did you find another package in brother’s link (only deb and rpm packages?

Ok, I am progressing one step, the printer is now working…
In “Printer” of Manjaro, I did aggregate the printer by its IP adress and not the brother that was automatically detected and proposed?? Apparently it is a “Brother DCP-1610W for CUPS”
Strange.

I installed the exact same AUR. I think that the AUR files are repackaged deb / rpm packages. So essential the same scripts and same files. I compared the output of ‘systemctl status cups.service’ on my system with yours and it is the same. So it seems (I am not an expert) that CUPS is running OK. Maybe you can remove / reset CUPS settings / conf file and start again.
When you enter the IP adress of your printer, i.e. http://192.168.x.yyy/general/status.html, does the printer respond by showing a status page? (If you do not know the ip address you can see it through the printers menu: network, wlan, etc.)

Well, the page that you mention http://192.168.x.yyy/general/status.html is working and everyhting looks fine now. I am frustrated because I do not understand the difference with the original installation.
I now have to understand the scanner…

It has not been easy but I finally managed to make this Brother printer/scanner work correctly.

For the printer, it is advisable to indicate the ip address of the printer rather than selecting the printer that is automatically proposed. Strange but it works!

For the scanner, sudo brsaneconfig4 -a name=Brother model=dcp1610w ip=192.168.1.04 adapting your model and ip address

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.