Getting my old Brother HL-2135W run print on Manjaro 23.0 (and the version before) had given me a little headache, but the solution was actually very simple. The easy workaround was simply installing and using another (more general) ppd from the AUR, than the one I would have expected. Hence, the solution that worked for me.
- The drivers for that particular printer are not available inside the CUPS database
- The printer was recognized, but drivers chosen by the CUPS wizard did not work for me
- The AUR includes a .ppd called hl-2135w, which also did not work for me
- (Allow AUR in third-party setting of pacman GUI)
- Search/Choose the AUR called “brother-hl2130” (instead of hl2135w)
- After installing the AUR. Just point (Printer details - install PPD) to the ppd available in: urs/share/cups/model/HL2130.ppd
Please note, that I’ve installed the printer via a direct connection through a USB cable. I didn’t bother to check on the wireless network functionality yet. Though, this is a very simple (maybe even obvious) workaround, I hope it might be useful to somebody also using that old brother model.
This .ppd worked flawlessly for me
This .ppd did not quite work for me