Install and start "hybrid-intel-nvidia" Driver (Lenovo Z500_HD3000+GT740M)

Hello!
I am a complete newbie to Linux, and I chose this distribution as the most suitable for learning the OS. Usually I am an artist and I work in graphic editors, about 5 years ago I tried various distributions on my PCs and laptops, but I never figured out the driver incompatibility.
On the PC I had a timely problem, on the Ryzen base everything was still damp, and in cooperation with “Asrock AB350Pro4” it is a complete hat, on the Lenovo Z500 laptop the HD3000 + GT740M integration mechanism failed, on this return back to Windows.
Now I have a (CG) “computer graphics” community based on OpenSource and free software, I’m promoting software, and it would be wrong to do this without the penetration of Linux.
Since I need a laptop to work with clients, I decided to take up Linux and finally solve this issue with the drivers on the laptop. In parallel with work, I want to study the practice of Linux.

Please help me deal with the driver, for the second week I have been trying different methods, but because I don’t understand the structure of working with OC, everything breaks down, and for work I need to urgently resolve this issue, because the load on the processor in Blender is not the best option for a laptop and its performance.
Problem:
-Manjaro offers hybrid-nvidia-390xx
(But mhwd after installing the proprietary FALSE driver, and optirun, prime-run don’t work)

• some problems understanding bumblebee, optimus, nouveau, etc.
    -I don’t understand how and what to remove / install and for what.
    System:
    Operating system: Manjaro Linux
    Plasma version of KDE: 5.24.4
    KDE Platforms Version: 5.92.0
    Qt version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.32-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
    Graphics platform: X11
    Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i3-2348M CPU @ 2.30 GHz
    Memory: 4.7 GiB RAM
    GPU: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 3000

provide formated outpuf from:
mhwd -l
mhwd -li

1 Like

At the moment, the driver is in stock condition, immediately after installation, + made an image of the system.

> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
Warning: No installed USB configs!
> 0000:01:00.0 (0302:10de:1292) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2021.12.18               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-390xx            2021.12.18               false            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:0116) Display controller Intel Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2021.12.18               false            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

so you have installed only video-linux, you dont have currently installed nvidia drivers…if you want to install them, go to system settings/hardware configuration, and click on auto install proprietary driver, reboot

1 Like

I understand that with the current driver I can’t play Blender with the GT740M? And for this you need a proprietary driver.

that i dont know, but you have currently installed only the intel graphics drivers … i couldnt run on my intel hd 630 graphics dune, which is ridiculous, so i had to switch to nvidia … so if you cant run blender on your intel graphics, youll have to try nvidias

Yes, if you want to run blender with the nvidia card, then the open source driver “nouveau” cannot handle it. You need the nvidia driver.

If that is the output of mhwd -li:

Then no nvidia driver has been installed. Bumblebee is also deprecated, but it still works.

sudo mhwd --install pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee

Explain this please… what false driver? bumblebee or prime? If open source drivers, then you can select the second dGPU with:

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
1 Like

I do not know if I understood correctly, but the second card did not switch, I will install nvidia.

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"                                                                                                       ✔ 

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 (SNB GT2)
    ~  DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"                                                                                           ✔ 
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 (SNB GT2)

I think that later this question will be clear by itself. Let’s postpone.

There is another question, the second video-nvidia-390xx driver, is it separate? With it, is it possible to force only the GT740 to work without power switching? I don’t understand what it is for?

yes it is separate. video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee is a config in mhwd which installs the nvidia driver and bumblebee. Bumblebee manages the switch. It was the very early implementation since nvidia refuses to implement such a feature those days, also it is more a hack. To be clear, it just switches GLX, not the screen and runs on VirtualGL.

Yes that is fully possible. In fact, you just need to set xorg config file for nvidia only and restart xorg. Then you run your screen only with nvidia. Depending on the hardware, you need to passhtrough the screen of nvidia card to the intel card, which is normally connected to the laptop screen.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Normally this should be enough for nvidia only:

sudo nvidia-xconfig -o /etc/X11/xorg.conf

But if it does not work, then you need to adjust it to a prime-reverse setup. Something like that: Chapter 33. Offloading Graphics Display with RandR 1.4

If you need help, then send more information:

inxi -Gazy

Yes, that helped me understand, thanks!
I’ll start by recommending auto-installation of the proprietary driver

Starting

> Using config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee' for device: 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:0116) Display controller Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller

> Installing video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee...

Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf

Has lib32 support: true

Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG

Processing classid: 0300

Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300

checking dependencies...

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)

:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by cuda

Error: pacman failed!

Error: script failed!

Something is wrong, I’ll try to reboot and repeat.

You need to remove cuda, then run again.

pamac remove cuda
1 Like

Helped, everything is set!
I think you need to repeat mhwd -l -li
What’s next?

mhwd -l -li                                                                                                                        127 ✘ 
> Installed PCI configs:

Warning: No installed USB configs!
> 0000:01:00.0 (0302:10de:1292) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
    video-nvidia-390xx            2021.12.18               false            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:0116) Display controller Intel Corporation:
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

Now check this site: Bumblebee - ArchWiki

Check if the service is running:

sudo systemctl status bumblebeed.service

Check if your user is part of the group bumblebee:

id

If everything is correct, then try:

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer" 
optirun glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer" 

Maybe also this:

optirun glxgears -info
1 Like

Не понимаю, я в тупике… он запущен, но его демона не становится?

   ~  sudo systemctl status bumblebeed.service                                                                                                                ✔ 
[sudo] пароль для paw: 
● bumblebeed.service - Bumblebee C Daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sat 2022-05-07 00:08:09 +03; 24min ago
   Main PID: 383 (bumblebeed)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 5710)
     Memory: 1.5M
        CPU: 30ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/bumblebeed.service
             └─383 /usr/bin/bumblebeed --use-syslog

мая 07 00:08:09 Notebook systemd[1]: Started Bumblebee C Daemon.
мая 07 00:08:10 Notebook bumblebeed[383]: /usr/bin/bumblebeed 3.2.1-2017-02-27-Format:%h$ started
    ~  id                                                                                                                                               ✔  5s  
uid=1000(paw) gid=1001(paw) группы=1001(paw),3(sys),90(network),98(power),991(lp),998(wheel),1000(autologin)
    ~  gpasswd -a paw bumblebee                                                                                                                                ✔ 
gpasswd: доступ запрещён.
    ~  sudo gpasswd -a paw bumblebee                                                                                                                         1 ✘ 
Добавление пользователя paw в группу bumblebee
    ~  id                                                                                                                                                      ✔ 
uid=1000(paw) gid=1001(paw) группы=1001(paw),3(sys),90(network),98(power),991(lp),998(wheel),1000(autologin)
    ~  systemctl start bumblebee                                                                                                                               ✔ 
Failed to start bumblebee.service: Unit bumblebee.service not found.
    ~  systemctl enable bumblebee                                                                                                                            5 ✘ 
Failed to enable unit: Unit file bumblebee.service does not exist.
    ~  systemctl status                                                                                                                                      1 ✘ 
● Notebook
    State: running
     Jobs: 0 queued
   Failed: 0 units
    Since: Sat 2022-05-07 00:30:54 +03; 7min ago
   CGroup: /
           ├─init.scope
           │ └─1 /sbin/init
           ├─system.slice
           │ ├─ModemManager.service
           │ │ └─427 /usr/bin/ModemManager
           │ ├─NetworkManager.service
           │ │ └─405 /usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon
           │ ├─avahi-daemon.service
           │ │ ├─381 "avahi-daemon: running [Notebook.local]"
           │ │ └─389 "avahi-daemon: chroot helper"
           │ ├─bluetooth.service
           │ │ └─382 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd
           │ ├─bumblebeed.service
           │ │ └─383 /usr/bin/bumblebeed --use-syslog
           │ ├─cronie.service
           │ │ └─384 /usr/bin/crond -n
           │ ├─cups.service
           │ │ └─441 /usr/bin/cupsd -l
           │ ├─dbus.service
           │ │ └─385 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation --syslog-only
           │ ├─polkit.service
           │ │ └─386 /usr/lib/polkit-1/polkitd --no-debug
           │ ├─rtkit-daemon.service
           │ │ └─681 /usr/lib/rtkit-daemon
           │ ├─sddm.service
           │ │ ├─443 /usr/bin/sddm
           │ │ └─479 /usr/lib/Xorg -nolisten tcp -background none -seat seat0 vt1 -auth /var/run/sddm/{b18eef2d-9fb5-45b0-9433-8b2ca34da4f2} -noreset -displayfd 17
           │ ├─systemd-journald.service
           │ │ └─262 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald
    ~  systemctl enable bumblebeed                                                                                                                     ✔  35s  
    ~  systemctl start bumblebeed                                                                                                                              ✔ 
    ~  sudo gpasswd -a paw bumblebee                                                                                                                           ✔ 
Добавление пользователя paw в группу bumblebee
    ~  sudo systemctl status bumblebeed.service                                                                                                                ✔ 
● bumblebeed.service - Bumblebee C Daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sat 2022-05-07 00:08:09 +03; 31min ago
   Main PID: 383 (bumblebeed)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 5710)
     Memory: 1.5M
        CPU: 30ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/bumblebeed.service
             └─383 /usr/bin/bumblebeed --use-syslog

мая 07 00:08:09 Notebook systemd[1]: Started Bumblebee C Daemon.
мая 07 00:08:10 Notebook bumblebeed[383]: /usr/bin/bumblebeed 3.2.1-2017-02-27-Format:%h$ started
    ~  optirun blender                                                                                                                                         ✔ 
[  595.858948] [ERROR]You've no permission to communicate with the Bumblebee daemon. Try adding yourself to the 'bumblebee' group
[  595.859023] [ERROR]Could not connect to bumblebee daemon - is it running?
    ~                                                                                                                                                        1 ✘ 

I fixed the error with the demon, following the link to the wiki, I got into a dead end on this error.

optirun glxspheres64                                                                                                                                    ✔ 
[  108.300540] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) No devices detected.

[  108.300712] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

Decision

### [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU: No devices detected

In some instances, running `optirun` will return:

[ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) No devices detected. [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

In this case, you will need to move the file `/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf` to somewhere else, [restart](https://wiki-archlinux-org.translate.goog/title/Restart?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=ru&_x_tr_hl=ru&_x_tr_pto=op) the bumblebeed daemon and it should work. If you do need to change some features for the Intel module, a workaround is to merge `/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf` to `/etc/X11/xorg.conf`.

It could be also necessary to comment the driver line in `/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf`.

If you are using the `nouveau` driver you could try switching to the `nvidia` driver.

You might need to define the NVIDIA card somewhere (e.g. file `/etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia`), using the correct `BusID` according to `lspci` output:

Section "Device" Identifier "nvidiagpu1" Driver "nvidia" BusID "PCI:0:1:0" EndSection

Observe that the format of `lspci` output is in HEX, while in xorg it is in decimals. So if the output of `lspci` is, for example, `0a:00.0` the `BusID` should be `PCI:10:0:0`.

The fact is that there are no files in this path
What does unite mean? How to do it?

If you do need to change some features for the Intel module, a workaround is to merge /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Wooow!! I managed!!! Thank you very much!!! I’m jumping for happiness!! ))

link

https://wiki-archlinux-org.translate.goog/title/Bumblebee?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=ru&_x_tr_hl=ru&_x_tr_pto=op

[ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU: No devices detected

In this error in the file (/etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia) I did not have the BusID parameter, I decided to add it, in this form:

• LSPKI (01:00.0)
    -BusID (BusID “PCI:01:0:0”)
    I also added “True” to the parameter:
  • Option “AutoAddDevices” “true”

Did a reboot (systemctl restarted bumblebee)
and (optirun Blender) started!
Video card found and working!
Yeho! )
The current view of the file (xorg.conf.nvidia)

##
## Generated by mhwd - Manjaro Hardware Detection
##

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout0"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "IgnoreABI" "1"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Device1"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BusID "PCI:01:0:0"
    Option "NoLogo" "true"
    Option "UseEDID" "false"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
EndSection

Thank you very much! I suffered for a very long time, during these two weeks I restored and reinstalled the images 8 times, looked at the manuals, tried different drivers, even these methods, but nothing worked, perhaps due to incompatibilities after some action and cluttering up files. During these 2 weeks I spent about 2 weeks of live time studying the issue, but I did it! Thanks for the help! ) Oh, what they just didn’t advise me, but here everything is very simple, as it turned out.

1 Like