Inkscape crashes way too often

Hello all!
First of all, big thanks to the community for this amazing distro.

I’m experiencing some unexpected crashes in Inkscape without any reason (happens more when using Fill and Stroke) and a strange behavior (Height is hidden somewhere under an arrow and you have no option to set it, just to say one). The message says that Inkscape has encountered an internal error and it needs to close and that my work is saved in /home/user/Pictures. Is someone experiencing the same bugs? I had something similar in Ubuntu 20.04, but nothing on this scale. My swap file is more than enough, and the other resources. If it helps, I have recently installed the Gcodetools extensions, but this crashes happens when doing regular stuff, not even using extensions. The thing is that these problems makes Inkscape almost unusable.
Thanks for the answer, whatever might that be!
Constantin

Hello,

I had no such issues nor on testing or unstable branch, but i use no extensions. Try starting inkscape without them, from terminal, and report back the errors you get from there.

Make sure your system is updated.
sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyu

Here is it. I started from the terminal and when told me that it couldn’t find the extensions (which I think it supposed to do that) although the extensions are still in the menu.
The system is up to date, but I haven’t run pacman-mirrors, I’ll try that. Here’s the terminal output:

~ >>> inkscape                                                                 

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.184: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'silent' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.bezier-console'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.186: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'comment-gcode-from-properties' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_dev'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.187: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'path-to-gcode-sort-paths' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_dev'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.187: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'in-out-path' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_dev'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.188: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'in-out-path-replace-original-path' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_dev'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.188: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'in-out-path-do-not-add-reference-point' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_dev'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.188: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'plasma-prepare-corners' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_dev'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.190: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'in-out-path' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_plasma-prepare-path_no_options_no_preferences'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.190: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'in-out-path-replace-original-path' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_plasma-prepare-path_no_options_no_preferences'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.190: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'in-out-path-do-not-add-reference-point' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_plasma-prepare-path_no_options_no_preferences'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.190: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'plasma-prepare-corners' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_plasma-prepare-path_no_options_no_preferences'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.192: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'path-to-gcode-sort-paths' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_area_area_fill_area_artefacts_ptg'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.192: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'comment-gcode-from-properties' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_area_area_fill_area_artefacts_ptg'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.194: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'path-to-gcode-sort-paths' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_lathe_lathe_modify_path_ptg'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.194: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'comment-gcode-from-properties' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_lathe_lathe_modify_path_ptg'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.196: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'comment-gcode-from-properties' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_engraving'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.200: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'path-to-gcode-sort-paths' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_ptg'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.200: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'comment-gcode-from-properties' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_ptg'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.202: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'comment-gcode-from-properties' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_graffiti_orientation'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.263: Failed to find resource file 'bezier-console.py'. Looked in:
	/home/vincent/.config/inkscape/extensions/bezier-console.py
	/usr/share/inkscape/extensions/bezier-console.py

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.263: Failed to find resource file 'bezier-console.py'. Looked in:

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.264: Failed to find resource file 'gcodetools-dev.py'. Looked in:
	/home/vincent/.config/inkscape/extensions/gcodetools-dev.py
	/usr/share/inkscape/extensions/gcodetools-dev.py

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.264: Failed to find resource file 'gcodetools-dev.py'. Looked in:

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.264: Failed to find resource file 'close_curves.py'. Looked in:
	/home/vincent/.config/inkscape/extensions/close_curves.py
	/usr/share/inkscape/extensions/close_curves.py

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5440): WARNING **: 10:00:53.264: Failed to find resource file 'close_curves.py'. Looked in:
Gdk-Message: 10:03:01.283: Window 0x55575fefe2b0 is a temporary window without parent, application will not be able to position it on screen.
Gdk-Message: 10:06:09.698: Window 0x55575fefe2b0 is a temporary window without parent, application will not be able to position it on screen.
Gdk-Message: 10:06:09.727: Window 0x55575fed0790 is a temporary window without parent, application will not be able to position it on screen.
Gdk-Message: 10:06:23.749: Unable to load sb_up_arrow from the cursor theme

Emergency save activated!

Emergency save document locations:
  /home/vincent/Pictures/Yumi.svg.2020_09_01_10_06_23.0.svg
Emergency save completed. Inkscape will close now.
If you can reproduce this crash, please file a bug at .........
with a detailed description of the steps leading to the crash, so we can fix it.
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  inkscape
~ >>> 

[139]

Multumesc!

You still have the extensions there, and not sure if that influences or not the way your inkscape install works. My proposal, from terminal:
mv ~/.config/inkscape ~/.config/inkscape.BCK
that will backup your actual inkscape configuration and will be recreated once you start inkscape again, but without the extensions. Share that output again.
To have a proper formatted text, use ``` above and bellow that text when you share it here.

Same thing…

::INFO Mirror list generated and saved to: /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                  168,8 KiB   993 KiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 extra                2013,9 KiB  2,42 MiB/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 community               6,1 MiB  2,50 MiB/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 multilib              194,9 KiB  2,38 MiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
~ >>> mv ~/.config/inkscape ~/.config/inkscape.BCK                             
~ >>> inkscape                                                                 

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.575: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'silent' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.bezier-console'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.578: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'comment-gcode-from-properties' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_dev'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.578: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'path-to-gcode-sort-paths' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_dev'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.579: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'in-out-path' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_dev'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.579: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'in-out-path-replace-original-path' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_dev'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.579: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'in-out-path-do-not-add-reference-point' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_dev'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.579: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'plasma-prepare-corners' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_dev'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.582: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'in-out-path' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_plasma-prepare-path_no_options_no_preferences'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.582: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'in-out-path-replace-original-path' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_plasma-prepare-path_no_options_no_preferences'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.582: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'in-out-path-do-not-add-reference-point' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_plasma-prepare-path_no_options_no_preferences'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.582: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'plasma-prepare-corners' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_plasma-prepare-path_no_options_no_preferences'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.583: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'path-to-gcode-sort-paths' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_area_area_fill_area_artefacts_ptg'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.583: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'comment-gcode-from-properties' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_area_area_fill_area_artefacts_ptg'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.585: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'path-to-gcode-sort-paths' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_lathe_lathe_modify_path_ptg'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.585: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'comment-gcode-from-properties' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_lathe_lathe_modify_path_ptg'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.587: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'comment-gcode-from-properties' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_engraving'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.592: Invalid default value ('True') for parameter 'path-to-gcode-sort-paths' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_ptg'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.593: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'comment-gcode-from-properties' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_ptg'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.594: Invalid default value ('False') for parameter 'comment-gcode-from-properties' in extension 'ru.cnc-club.filter.gcodetools_graffiti_orientation'

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.656: Failed to find resource file 'bezier-console.py'. Looked in:

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.656: Failed to find resource file 'bezier-console.py'. Looked in:

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.656: Failed to find resource file 'gcodetools-dev.py'. Looked in:

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.656: Failed to find resource file 'gcodetools-dev.py'. Looked in:

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.656: Failed to find resource file 'close_curves.py'. Looked in:

** (org.inkscape.Inkscape:5804): WARNING **: 10:33:40.656: Failed to find resource file 'close_curves.py'. Looked in:
Gdk-Message: 10:36:28.781: Unable to load sb_up_arrow from the cursor theme

Emergency save activated!
Emergency save completed. Inkscape will close now.
If you can reproduce this crash, please file a bug at https://inkscape.org/report
with a detailed description of the steps leading to the crash, so we can fix it.
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  inkscape
~ >>>                                             

So, apparently there is on Reddit the same discussion around Inkscape. It’s a 3 months old post and it has to do with recent Inkscape upgrade , the 0.92 is still stable. They have reported on Arch this issue. At this point I don’t know if it’s Manjaro or Inkscape itself.

I can’t reproduce your exact issue, so for sure is not something from our end. Indeed i prefer to use the older version for some tasks, but is not the installed one, is the appimage.

This file doesn’t exist on any of my installs
So, i don’t know where you get it from, but seems to keep pop-ing out in that output, and also pointing to your home directory of inkscape extensions …

I’m reinstalling it and see how it behaves. If is still the same I’ll open a bug ticket on the Inkscape site.
Thanks for your time. I’ll will post the solution (if any available) here, just in case somebody will face the same problem.

The extensions where there already, even Gcodetools appeared in the Extensions submenu before I installed it, even if the Gcodetools folder wasn’t present in /usr/share/inkscape/extensions,(I had to copy that myself since this is how it’s installed). Anyways, I have uninstalled, purged, reinstalled, but Inkscape behaves the same.
I will report this to Inkscape.
Thanks!

1 Like

So… I managed, with the help from the GitHub guys, to find the culprit: apparently there seems to be a conflict between Wayland Session and the System Themes and Inkscape themes. The issue is solved in development.
To solve it:

• I have changed my desktop from Gnome Modern to Traditional, disabled Wayland Session in Layout app, uninstalled Inkscape, purge, restart, reinstall Inkscape, open it, Edit/Preferences/Interface/Theme, choose first time the system theme and did a test with my file, choose then Adwaita Dark and did a test, no crash whatsoever, just a message right after the Inkscape is closed “Inkscape has encountered an internal error and it will close.”
    So I think you can close this post!