Infinite timeout when missing home partition

I changed an internal archiv disk for a bigger one…
Unfortunately, instead of the archive disk, I removed the one with home.
Then at boot time comes the systemd message
trying to mount the non-existent disk.
:joy:
the timeout for this is infinite.

No warning on bootscreen (because of “quiet” boot-paramter…)
And if one has not died, one is waiting forever?

How to change?

plug it back in?

1 Like
  1. reboot
  2. hold shift to get to grub
  3. press e to edit the highlighted entry
  4. add 3 to the beginning of the kernel cmdline
  5. press f10
  6. wait 90s while system probes
  7. login in as root
  8. lsblk -o name,path,size,uuid
  9. pick the correct path
  10. append the path uuid to your fstab using
  11. lsbk -no uuid /dev/sdxY >> /etc/fstab
  12. edit your fstab
  13. comment the previous home mount
  14. create a new home mount using new UUID=newuuid /home ext4 defaults 0 0
  15. you would likely have to recreate your user as the home is now gone
  16. reboot

If one needs the old content - a very good idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

:warning: Only when his /home is an ext4 partition :wink:

You could add extra mount options to your fstab entry for /home:

But be prepared to have a weird results, like unable to login as your user or worse: like a fresh /home created in the root partition with defaults…
(thats why the default is to wait indefinitly)

1 Like

Clarification:
I plugged out the wrong disk - and then i wondered why Manjaro did not boot.
==> I would like “timeout” for trying to mount a disk is not indefinite (until “Sankt Nimmerleins-Tag”)
“-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------”
Woran erkennt man einen “grünen” SUV???
How do you recognize a “green” SUV??? (english means something different I fear…

To me, it doesn’t make sense to adapt the mount options to effectively allow you to boot without the /home partition.
You’d not be able to log in - except as root.
But the fstab option to do that is probably something like nofail.
I don’t know, but it must have been mentioned here in the forum a million times.

… den Witz kriege ich nicht gelöst :man_shrugging:
ist aber in englisch das gleiche, kann man 1:1 übersetzen

Der Witz ==> die Lösung: “An der Farbe!”
The joke ==> the solution: “By the color!”

Idea by: https://sciencebusters.at/

That is the better and simpler solution as shown in:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fstab

@linux-aarhus A global timeout maxtime - how to or why not??

That is indeed correct - other filesystems has other requirements - but I simply assume ext4 unless otherwise indicated.

When you mount the system /home on a separate partition - and the partition is not available - then you cannot login as your user because the /home/$USER folder does not exist.

Using nofail will not make it possible to login - $USER folder still doesn’t exist and it not created if missing - if you try to login as user - you will be authenticated but then system will hang indefinately.

To my current knowledge there is no method to avoid such hang - you will have to fix the missing mount in order to be able to log in as user.

For other partitions which may or may not be available at boot systemd will wait 90s for the mount to become available.

The only way I know of is to use the nofail option in fstab. The nofail will tell systemd to ignore the missing mount. This may cause other issues as any references to files - e.g. scripts will fail.

Writing to such a missing mount - depending on mountpoint permissions may succeed - but the data written may dissappear upon next boot if the device is online thus the mount will hide the data written when device was offline - this may cause severe headaches when that happen.

Another option is to use systemd-homed - it uses an entirely different approach to detect your home folder where you can host home on any device.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.