Improving boot performance

When I first installed this awesome distro, I noticed that my pc was taking almost 1min20s to boot and decided to update the OS and get a more recent kernel and here are the specs:

Startup finished in 3.739s (kernel) + 34.627s (userspace) = 38.366s 
graphical.target reached after 32.234s in userspace

My system’s ones:

System:    Host: blyatmobilebr-pc Kernel: 5.7.9-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 

I tried to visit some forum’s topics that were being shown on DuckDuckGo but I’m almost certain all that content was lost. So I’m gonna ask: How can I improve boot’s performance to the maximum? (without having to buy a ssd or anything else)
Thanks in advance!

You can disable some services – which you should decide which you don’t need. There useful will be systemd-analyze blame (and other, see man systemd-analyze) – for analyze and identify time eaters, Arch Wiki and some discussions on old forum.

Remember, this is risky operation so you must be extremely careful.

3 Likes

Are you having full disk encryption enabled? If so, you can save about a minute of boot time by having unencrypted /boot partition.

1 Like

It’s not lost. You just have to add archive in the url shown in DuckDuckGo

1 Like

I’m trying to check the command on the internet but I didn’t find it. What’s the command to check if I have it enabled, please?

systemctl status

man systemctl <-- very good and detailed manual

1 Like

check also with

sudo systemd-analyze blame
sudo systemd-analyze critical-chain
lsblk

Full disk encryption is not a systemd service. It just means in this context that your /boot folder is in an encrypted partition. If you don’t have a separate /boot partition and your / partition is encrypted, then your /boot folder is also inside the / partition and encrypted.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll check that out. In the meantime I set GRUB_TIMEOUT to 0 and it helped a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.