Impossible to install brother DCP-1610W printer with manjaro and wifi method

Dear all,

I am new on manjaro and I tried to install my new brother DCP-1610W printer with the driver installation tool from brother website, I followed all the command instructions :

sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1 DCP-1610W

then

add my IP address because I saw on internet that it was better to set the IP address as parameter during the installation, so I saved :

"save your IP address : 192.168.XXX.XXX

After that I saw my printer visible on system printer settings but it was not able to print a test page.

I tried also to launch the command :

pacman build brother-dcp1610w

But actually I stay stuck at this point.

Can someone help me ? I’m lost

Thank you all for your answers or advices.

The driver is available from the AUR (Arch User Repository) Make sure that you have the base-devel package installed. Then in terminal

pamac build brother-dcp1610w 

I cannot comment on wifi connection of the printer as I only use USB connection here.

if you don’t have base-devel package installed you can install as follows:

sudo pacman -S base-devel

Some reading:

Hi @Rita78 ,
Welcome to the forum, please read the post below in order to access the printer through wifi. There are many others whether you search in the forum with the words wifi printers.

Unable to connect to Wifi printer - #20 by andreas85

Search in the post this words.

Try opening the printers web interface

http:://printerip
I am assuming you have the necessary packages installed for printing?

Open the cups interface at localost:631 and change the printer port to ipp://printerip

Hope it help, 
Regards

Thanks a lot I tried your commands but I did not succeed to install the printer.

I think I need ti configure a route between the printer IP address and my laptop and I have difficulties to handle this topic.

Thank you for your help.

I tried your commands but I did not succeed to install the printer.

I think I need ti configure a route between the printer IP address and my laptop and I have difficulties to handle this topic.

Thank you for your help.

I cannot claim this solution as my own, thank ChatGPT if it works. It has saved me many hours of pulling hair with a few problems of my own.

To set up the Brother DCP-1610W printer on Manjaro, you can follow these steps:

1. Connect the Printer: Ensure that your printer is connected to your computer via USB or connected to the same network as your Manjaro machine if it supports wireless connectivity.
  2. Install Required Packages: Open a terminal and run the following command to install the necessary packages:
sudo pacman -S cups cups-pdf ghostscript gsfonts
  1. Start and Enable CUPS Service: CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) is the printing system used by Manjaro. Start and enable the CUPS service by running the following commands:
sudo systemctl start cups.service
sudo systemctl enable cups.service
  1. Open CUPS Web Interface: Open your web browser and enter the following address:
http://localhost:631
  1. Add Printer: In the CUPS web interface, click on “Administration” and then “Add Printer.”
  2. Authenticate: You may be prompted to enter your username and password to authenticate.
  3. Select Printer: Choose your Brother DCP-1610W printer from the list of discovered printers. If it’s a wireless printer, make sure it’s turned on and connected to the same network as your computer.
  4. Provide Printer Details: Follow the on-screen instructions to provide the necessary details for your printer, such as name, description, and location. You can also set the default options according to your preferences.
  5. Install the Printer Driver: On the “Make” and “Model” page, search for the Brother DCP-1610W printer model. If it’s not listed, you may need to download and install the driver manually from the Brother website. Follow the instructions provided by Brother to install the driver package.
  6. Complete the Setup: Continue following the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process. Once finished, you should see your Brother DCP-1610W printer listed in the CUPS web interface.
  7. Test Printing: To ensure that the printer is working correctly, you can try printing a test page. In the CUPS web interface, click on your printer, then select “Print Test Page” from the “Maintenance” drop-down menu.

That’s it! Your Brother DCP-1610W printer should now be set up and ready to use on Manjaro.