I'm stuck trying to fix the Bumblebee mess, and dont know what to do next -but I have lots of Terminal data to help get me unstuck!

I broke my brand new system with every newbs favorite booby-trap the Bumblebee driver! (There really should be huge red flags on Bumblebee IMHO).

Here's what Terminal-root@manjaro shows about my drivers and Bumblebee.

[manjaro /]# for i in /etc/X11/mhwd.d/* /etc/X11?xorg.conf.d/*; do printf "====> %s:\n%s\n" "$(grep -v # $i)"; done
====>

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "intel"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "DRI" "true"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Group "video"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
Option "RENDER" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Keyboard Defaults"
MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection
:

grep: /etc/X11?xorg.conf.d/*: No such file or directory
====> :

[manjaro /]# mhwd -li

Installed PCI configs:

NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE

video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

network-broadcom-wl 2018.10.07 true PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-340xx-bumblebee 2018.08.09 false PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!
[manjaro /]# optirun -v glxgears
[ 6240.540190] [INFO]Configured driver: nvidia
[ 6240.540290] [ERROR]The Bumblebee daemon has not been started yet or the socket path /var/run/bumblebee.socket was incorrect.
[ 6240.540310] [ERROR]Could not connect to bumblebee daemon - is it running?
[manjaro /]# systemctl status bumblebeed
Running in chroot, ignoring request: status

How do I fix this? I dont know how to get back from chroot to 'my' terminal or GUI from there I could remove bumblebee, or what commands for the terminal ( I like using the terminal, actually!)

I Logged on with my install USB as I only get a black screen since the failed Bumblebee install attempt.

**I can only boot from the USB, and don't know how to fix that either. **

Here is my System set up/Specs:
[manjaro /]# inxi -Fxxcz
System: Host: manjaro Kernel: 4.19.28-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1
Console: N/A wm: xfwm4 dm: N/A Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: Type: Laptop System: Apple product: MacBookPro6,2 v: 1.0 serial: Chassis:
type: 10 v: Mac-F22586C8 serial:
Mobo: Apple model: Mac-F22586C8 v: MacBookPro6,2 serial: UEFI: Apple
v: 98.0.0.0.0 date: 04/24/2019
Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 49.5 Wh condition: 50.9/75.2 Wh (68%) volts: 12.3/10.9
model: SMP bq20z451 serial: N/A status: Full
CPU: Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5 M 520 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Nehalem
rev: 5 L1 cache: 256 KiB L2 cache: 3072 KiB L3 cache: 12.0 MiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 19160
Speed: 1830 MHz min/max: 1197/2395 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1281 2: 1310 3: 1301
4: 1349
Graphics: Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0046
Device-2: NVIDIA GT216M [GeForce GT 330M] vendor: Apple driver: nouveau v: kernel
bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:0a29
Display: server: X.org 1.20.5 driver: intel tty: N/A
Audio: Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:3b56
Device-2: NVIDIA GT216 HDMI Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1
chip ID: 10de:0be2
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.28-1-MANJARO
Network: Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
driver: tg3 v: 3.137 port: 2000 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 14e4:1684
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac:
Device-2: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n
vendor: Apple AirPort Extreme driver: bcma-pci-bridge v: N/A port: 2000 bus ID: 03:00.0
chip ID: 14e4:4353
IF-ID-1: wlp3s0b1 state: down mac:
Drives: Local Storage: total: 312.50 GiB used: 208.55 GiB (66.7%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HTS54503 size: 298.09 GiB speed: 1.5 Gb/s
serial: N/A
ID-2: /dev/sdc vendor: Kingston model: DataTraveler 3.0 size: 14.41 GiB serial: N/A
Partition: ID-1: / size: 292.12 GiB used: 208.55 GiB (71.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 70.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 68 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info: Processes: 194 Uptime: 1h 46m Memory: 3.72 GiB used: 676.6 MiB (17.8%) Init: systemd
v: 242 Compilers: gcc: 9.1.0 Client: Unknown Client: su inxi: 3.0.34

To recap, I'm totally new to Manjaro, have some Linux command line experience, but not much.

I need to:
Remove Bumblebee
Test/fix my machine Boot process ( I use Manjaro and nothing else now, so its a bit urgent.)
Get back to 'my' desktop, so I can finish setting up that I started 2 weeks ago before Bumblebee ruined my life.

And looking at this command history:

[manjaro /]# awk -F: '$3 == 1000' /etc/passwd
will:x:1000:1000:will:/home/will:/bin/bash
[manjaro /]# /usr/bin/passwd
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: password updated successfully
[manjaro /]# /usr/bin/passwd
New password:

Have I changed MY password (user: will) or the root password?

I cannot log into will, is it becuase I'm in root?

How do I change that?

Thanks!

Have you considered to switch away from Bumblebee which is an outdated hack anyway? If you want to use your dedicated GPU fully with Vulkan (Bumblebee don't support it) which is available through Proton, change your setup to one of those:

1) optimus-switch
Simpler solution, easier to setup, GPU switch requires computer reboot.
There should be a topic with a guide on the forum.

2) optimus-manager
More involved setup, need to follow the tutorial carefully and if it works, you will have an icon in the tray that you can right-click and switch GPUs, only session reload is needed (with entering a password, autopass is not available during the switch).

Here is the guide:

If you still want to fight with Bumblebee, read:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee

However, if something wrong is with the sockets, you rather need to look to some solution on some troubleshoot threads on various forums (so duck duck go/google).

Probably some users here will know what to do with it too.

Thanks, but I just want to get work done. I followed a very bad '10 things to do with a New Manjaro set up' tut. :confounded: My main problem is getting to my already tidy home directory having booted into USB as the only access.
I Get a black screen booting Manjaro from the Mac install.

I am sorry you followed a "bad guide"(?)
For curiosity and posterity maybe you would care to share the link?
(it is ok to not give the full proper link .. because we dont necessarily want to give them more traffic/traction)

I complained at length about the tut. two weeks ago, in rants and raves section. It was not well received! :grin:
I modified my venom at one Madhouse Jak on you tube, but the mods shut the conversation down anyway.
Back on topic, I'm trying to fix grub to boot into Mac installed Manjaro, and from there, hopefully obliterate this driver.
What is weird is the system says it's not running.
I'm not sure now if Bumblebee broke grub, but in any case, I want it gone. I'd rather things were stable, than dangerously bleeding edge warp speed crash test dummies.

Do

sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee
sudo mhwd -i pci video-linux

You have MacBook, they are known for non-Optimus implementation of graphics switching, so Bumblebee isn't suitable for them. Above commands will make your craptop use free Intel driver.

Next you might want to consider switching to Nvidia-powered graphics:
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia

Linux as a whole isn't the best choice for older MacBooks with Nvidia graphics. I've struggled and suffered for a while with my previous rMBP 15 2013, that's a nighmare I will remember forever.
I don't know much about newer macbooks with AMD graphics though. It's likely that they are working fine, HOWEVER, graphics isn't the only thing of Macs that may cause problems - Wi-Fi drivers is the first thought that crosses my mind.

1 Like

Roger that.
Lol at 'craptop' that's Mac these days. Very sad.
I'll report back.

I got:
[manjaro manjaro]# sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee
Error: config 'video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee' is not installed!
[manjaro manjaro]# sudo mhwd -i pci video-linux
Am I looking in the wrong place? I suspect my CLI command line should be saying [will@will] or similar, not [manjaro]
I'm having difficulty understanding how and when my commands are applied, and also moving from the USB version to the /home directory of the Mac install.
I've yet to find my files, with the help I've been given, I get error commands back.
I dont fully yet grasp what I'm looking at in the terminal in terms of where the terminal is pointing, if that makes sense...
The $ sign and the # sign. Sorry, but there are gaps in my knowlege because I've been thrown into fix it mode, and I'm learning how to fix it piecemeal by good old "RTFF", and questions when I get stuck.

$ means user, # means root

I think you need to manjaro-chroot -a once the live system is up and running.

Then do the commands.

2 Likes

Here is some inputs and responses in root '#' is it possible I have somehow overwritten or deleted my Initial install? Nothing seems to be making sense...

[manjaro manjaro]# sudo mhwd -i pci video-linux
Warning: a version of config 'video-linux' is already installed!
Use -f/--force to force installation...
[manjaro manjaro]# /mnt/home
bash: /mnt/home: No such file or directory
[manjaro manjaro]# sudo -i pci video-nvidia
-bash: pci: command not found
[manjaro manjaro]# pacman -R package_bumblebee
warning: database file for 'core' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'extra' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'community' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'multilib' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
error: target not found: package_bumblebee
[manjaro manjaro]# sudo pacman -S mhwd-chroot
warning: database file for 'core' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'extra' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'community' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'multilib' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
error: target not found: mhwd-chroot
[manjaro manjaro]#

Thanks Shae! This may be what I'm looking for...
[manjaro manjaro]# manjaro-chroot -a
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sda2]
--> mount: [/mnt]
--> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
[manjaro /]#

2 Likes

Yeap, manajro chroot is how you access and fixes the system.

Few things:

• Please use </> button to wrap terminal, code or config files output. It will be formatted accordingly and easier to read.
  • Learn a bit about the command you are using, because it looks you are just issuing commands left and right not knowing what you are doing and if I read it right: commands with errors so no wonder the results are poor...
  • Terminal sometimes suggests correctly what you should do so when you saw "warning database...", you already had a solution (use '-Sy' to download)
  • [manjaro manjaro]# /mnt/home it's not a correct command, nor a path, so the output correctly says "No such file or directory".

Once you are in chroot, you can do a lot.
Please read:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Configure_Graphics_Cards

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Pacman_Overview

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

Also, search for mac related topics on Manjaro forum, there are many of them. There are some solutions for Macs there. I don't own any so I don't know about it myself.

Manjaro Wiki and Arch wiki + forum here is very helpful once you take your time a bit, although Arch wiki can be confusing and dry very often...

1 Like

Thank you Michal for these links, you're correct, I'm using other fixes as experiments, and don't fully understand the relationships of the commands to my scenario. For example, I will use your links to learn about Sy as I don't know anything about that at all right now, I will paste any unexpected command responses, so that everyone can better follow my situation, for now, let me study the links you kindly sent.

You can always type --help in terminal to find more about any command, so for example:

pacman --help

will show you most general options.

pacman -S --help

will show you more info about the -S option, and so on.

Manual is opened when you use it before command but it's not always available, while help always is, so try:

man pacman

Using the Restore GRUB bootloader link I was successful following the UEFI commands until at the last part I got :

[manjaro mnt]# sudo modprobe efivarfs
modprobe: FATAL: Module efivarfs not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.28-1-MANJARO
[manjaro mnt]# sudo manjaro-chroot -a
sudo: manjaro-chroot: command not found
[manjaro mnt]# chroot /mnt
[manjaro /]# mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
[manjaro /]# sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
[manjaro /]# sudo update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1.  Check your device.map.
done
[manjaro /]# 

But my lsblk output looked like:

[manjaro manjaro]# lsblk -f
NAME FSTYPE LABEL UUID FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
loop0
squash 0 100% /run/miso/
loop1
squash 0 100% /run/miso/
loop2
squash 0 100% /run/miso/
loop3
squash 0 100% /run/miso/
sda
├─sda1
│ vfat 503B-200D
└─sda2
ext4 c565f9a9-1785-4a07-823e-9b3f70965171
sdc iso966 M1804 2019-03-12-09-01-11-00
├─sdc1
│ iso966 M1804 2019-03-12-09-01-11-00 0 100% /run/miso/
└─sdc2
vfat MISO_EFI
BB93-7505
sr0
[manjaro manjaro]# sudo manjaro-chroot -a
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sda2]
--> mount: [/mnt]
--> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
[manjaro /]# sudo blkid -o list -c /dev/nul
device fs_type label mount point UUID

/dev/loop0 squashfs (in use)
/dev/loop1 squashfs (in use)
/dev/loop2 squashfs (in use)
/dev/loop3 squashfs (in use)
/dev/sda1 vfat /boot/efi 503B-200D
/dev/sda2 ext4 / c565f9a9-1785-4a07-823e-9b3f70965171
/dev/sdc1 iso9660 M1804 (in use) 2019-03-12-09-01-11-00
/dev/sdc2 vfat MISO_EFI (not mounted) BB93-7505
[manjaro /]# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
[manjaro /]# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
[manjaro /]# cd /mnt
[manjaro mnt]# mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
[manjaro mnt]# mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
[manjaro mnt]# mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
[manjaro mnt]# mount -t devpts pts /mnt/dev/pts/
[manjaro mnt]# chroot /mnt

What part of this dont I understand! The boot volume is at sda1 isnt it?

Did you notice that in the article you have different options?

1. First, you chroot into Manjaro and the easiest way is to:
sudo manjaro-chroot -a

Then you ignore manual chroot instructions as you did chrooted already. Above you seemed to want chroot inside chroot so that is a fail.

Please, read the instructions carefully, try to understand them before you issue any commands. Don't just do commands blindly just as they are put in the article (which you have done and failed).
The article shows you options. In case this use this, in case this use this, in case... Again, read again the article.

I assume you are new to the technical stuff so it is confusing and not comprehensive, since the mix up. You will be better with time. Understanding instructions is a key here so don't rush it, read it many times till it becomes clear.

1. Once you are in chroot, do the rest:

sudo pacman -S mtools os-prober

Those may be already installed but if not, install them.

1. Choose instruction for either BIOS or UEFI. Which one you have, I don't know. If you have UEFI setup, ignore BIOS part, if you have BIOS setup, ignore UEFI part.

Your post has become unreliable, because of the terminal output wrong format.
Please read how to properly format, so the info is credible and get proper advice.
For example, we have to know definitely which part is outside "chroot" and which part is inside "chroot".
When you use manjaro-chroot, you immediately get inside the target system (chroot). Then you don't need to mount system partitions to troubleshoot. Run update and other commands.
Sda1 is the $esp partition.
For mhwd to "uninstall" a driver, first list installed configs to get the exact name.

If you are in a hurry or lazy to not read help/man pages, it is very easy to corrupt your installation to an unusable state. As it is already mentioned...

At this point I am 20 days into this And I am just getting more and more confused!
I think the best thing is to just reinstall. God knows, a full reinstall and set up of my VPN Firefox and the overnight download of my Mac files would have been quicker! Also, I have info overload now, and there are too many questions within questions, I am reluctantly going to reinstall. Without a clean boot I'm just wasting precious time trying to fix everything else. And that's just turned into a nightmare of confusing inputs for me. A new install at this point is going to be way less pain I think, thanks everyone!

1 Like

Well, reinstall may be the best solution at this point. Fixing the system is, in general, a better way but if you are too fresh, it's just too confusing, too frustrating and too time-consuming.

If you are a beginner, it's normal to mess up your system. Most of us did it few times, so it's possible you will break it again ;P, especially on mac when things don't work out of the box and you are forced to mess with the system.

So have a backup of your data and be ready for starting anew a few more times. Those things take time. I'm not a Linux or IT expert, far from it. I'm just an average user and those things you are doing were also very confusing and frustrating at the beginning. Now it all seems to be easy but I'm using Linux for many years now.

If you are lucky and the hardware is a match, the beginnings are nice, but you have mac. This will be a bumpy and complicated ride... I'm afraid. Even experienced users may have issues with macs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark