I'm looking for a workable Android emulator for ARM

I have been looking for such an alternative for over 5 years now :rofl:

Well it is linux based and has a lan port…maybe there is some old vulnerability to gain root…just an idea.
Otherwise i think the virtualbox and old windows may be the easiest. Just be sure to install virtualbox on lts kernel (6.1 or 6.6) because of the extra kernel module. Otherwise you will have to uninstall it first when 6.5 goes eol.

maybe there is some old vulnerability to gain root

Why do I need vulnerability and root access, what will they give me?

Otherwise i think the virtualbox and old windows may be the easiest

This has been working for me for a long time:

- launch Debian --> VirtualBox --> Windows XP --> Internet Explorer

But I don’t like at all that I have to use a separate Intel & Debian computer to monitor the DVR.
I want to work and observe of DVR on the same common computer: Manjaro ARM.

DVR-8904KM digital video recorder

The DVR-8904KM digital video recorder for video surveillance systems has 4 channels, which allows you to connect up to 4 surveillance cameras to this video recorder.
The Atis DVR-8904KM DVR is capable of recording video in a very high resolution of 960H (960x576) and a recording speed of 100 frames per second per system. This DVR has 4 BNC video inputs and 3 video outputs (VGA, HDMI, BNC).
One video output (VGA) has a maximum resolution of 1280x1024, the second video output has a maximum resolution of 1920x1080, which allows you to connect a high-resolution monitor to the HDMI video output. The DVR has 4 audio inputs and 1 audio output.
This DVR uses the high-quality H.264 video compression standard, which applies high video compression while still maintaining high video quality. You can connect 1 SATA hard drive with a capacity of up to 4 TB to the DVR.
The presence of a USB interface allows you to easily control the DVR using a mouse or keyboard.
This DVR has an RJ45 (LAN) interface, which allows you to access the DVR from anywhere where there is Internet access. This function allows you to watch live broadcasts from CCTV cameras using a personal computer or watch an archive of video recordings, and these functions are also available when using smartphones and tablets on the iOS and Android operating systems.
This DVR has an RS485 interface, thanks to which it is possible to control PTZ cameras.
It also has support for video transmission over a GSM network. This function allows you to provide access to the Internet in the absence of a network cable; instead of a cable, a USB 3G modem is used.
Item Type: DVR
Operating system: LINUX (interface in Russian)
Compression format: H.264
Video standard: PAL, NTSC
Recording type: Video / Video and audio
Max recording resolution: 960H
Overall recording speed: 100fps. at 960H (PAL: 960×576)
Realtime in maximum resolution: yes
Video input: 4
Video output: 1 VGA (1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600)60Hz, 1 HDMI (1920x1080), 1 BNC
Audio inputs: 4
Audio output: 1
Recording Mode: Motion Detection, Video Loss, Camera Blind, Alarm
Synchronous playback: 4 channels
Hard drives: 1 SATA HDD up to 4 TB
Network interfaces: 1 RJ45 10M/100M Ethernet interface
Network functions: TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, DDNS, PPPOE, IP filter, Email, 3G
RS-485: yes
Alarm inputs and outputs: no
USB: 2 USB 2.0
HDMI output: yes
3G modem support: yes
Viewing from mobile devices: iOS, Android (viewing videos, changing settings, full control over the DVR)
Backup mode: USB Flash, network download
Control method: Front panel, USB mouse, remote control, network
Power: DC 12V/3A
Consumption: < 40W (without HDD)
Operating temperature: -10°C~+55°C
Dimensions: 230x315x40mm

I meant It gave me nothing in the form of open source software. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well if you have full access you would not need internet explorer or any propitiery software, it records in H264, so you could pull the files with any browser or ssh client.
I just assumed it is closed source with some limited account since you are talking about the build in webserver that tries to serve internet explorer cab plugins, which are probably just propietary players for H264. So trying to reverse engineer a little bit won’t hurt. Here is some inspiration for you, it is a different device but you get the idea.

Another idea: i have somehow overlooked you are on arm and virtualbox in not available, but qemu is for arm. So you can make the combo QEMU+AOSP AndroidVM and that app for example. All on aarch64.

Well, you could try running a windowed-mode Wayland compositor in your Xfce X11 session, and then Waydroid in that window.

E.g., Weston, Sway, and Cage support running as an X11 window.

Are you kidding? :wink: After all, I’m just a novice.

Yes, I know that VirtualBox is not here. Thefore I tried QEMU, but it didn’t work for me. Are you sure that it will work on aarch64? And will it have enough RAM of 3 GB?

It’s not entirely clear to me how it will look in the window.
Therefore, it is better not to cut down, but a full-fledged full-format video mode.

For everyone: I’ll try to prepare a little surprise to you.
I hope you will find this interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

After some googling, finding an android arm iso image seems impossible, i thought it would be easy because i have used android-x86 images

I guess you are back to square one. Either the waydroid under xfce option, or an android sdk/emulator, or qemu with android x86, or qemu with windows xp x86. The latter variant should work with about 1 GB of ram (if you have 3 altogether you cannot give more than 1-1,5 to qemu). It will however be veeery slow to start because of the emulation. Might be usable for browsing the website and settings of the dvr though, you have to test. But if that internet explorer has to stream and decode video it will really not run emulating on another architecture.

If none of the above works, the easy option on another real x86 machine (regardless if debian or manjaro) is clear - virtual box and windows xp or android-x86 on it.

Why do you not simply try it instead of complaining?

Because I’m afraid of messing up a set-up system.
I don’t have a second computer with an ARM for testing

Not sure what you’re expecting, but here’s what it looks like on a 1080p screen:

IMHO, looks way better than Internet Explorer inside Windows XP inside Virtualbox

This seems to be a common theme of this thread after 32 posts with people trying to help.

You should always have a flash drive with manjaro on it regardless. It could be the most stable OS in the world and I’d still recommend having a way to fix it outside of the installed system (not to mention that you never know when a drive will die).

The packages you install for waydroid can be removed just as easily as installing them. The only extra cleanup would be in $HOME/.local/share/waydroid, which contains any changes you make to the default image (installed apps, application data, etc) and can be removed by deleting the folder if you don’t want to keep any of that.

Dear friends,

I have prepared the promised surprise for you :slightly_smiling_face:
You can log in using any browser at http://guest.extmail.info/
You will be presented with such an entrance:

If you want to enter the settings of my DVR, write me a private message, and I will tell you the login and password to access.

I managed to see the live video only in IE Windows XP after he suggested installing N9_ActiveX.cab.

I haven’t been able to see the video in different Linux browsers, but maybe you’ll have better luck :+1:

I tried to install for Chromium v119.0.6045.159 (Official build) Arch Linux ARM (64 bit) Liability add-on: IEability - Open in IE v2.21.3.1.
This extension started installing the N9_ActiveX.cab plugin when I logging into DVR LOGIN and seems to have installed it.
However, when you try to watch the video, the browser closes.

ActiveX plugins are architecture-specific. This ActiveX blob is almost certainly compiled for x86 and/or x86_64 (probably 32-bit x86), not aarch64.

Kevin_Kofler
Okay, thanks. I was already overjoyed in vain :rofl:

I have a new idea :sweat_smile:
I will try to make a separate also economical computer with the Windows XP on Raspberry PI platform.
For example: https://youtu.be/cPftnfEcTsQ
Has anyone tried to make such a computer?

Not a very good idea because the PI is still ARm, and WinXP was never made for anything else then x86, so it has to be emulated and will be awfully slow.
In theory there is Windows CE and Embedded which run on arm, but then the ActiveX will not run.

Just take some second hand Intel/Amd laptop or box pc like HP AIO or lenovo, old ones go for under 100 ($/Eur/whatever). And even a 20 Yeal old one will run XP.