Icons missing from pamac GUI, and other apps like Inkscape, GIMP, Thunderbird

Hi guys, I’ve hit a strange bug that I thought I could ignore for a bit, but haven’t been able to because some of the main apps I use has been affected and I don’t really know what’s causing it.

I’ve tried to change icon and system themes, but not luck.
I’ve also tried to reinstall qt5-svg and after a restart nothing seemed to change.

Some of my icons are just completely gone on some applications. As you can see in the screenshots below.

Screenshot_20240614_184557

Screenshot_20240614_184505

KDE team simply removed that heavily modified and non FDO compatible Adwaita icons theme from their settings. Because it’s broken and will cause bugs on non LibAdwaita apps.

Other desktops like Budgie and Cinnamon did the same.

Try to use Breeze icons theme or any compatible one.

3 Likes

I tried reinstalling the adwaita installed packaged in my system. since removing them give dependency break warnings.
-no changes in the missing icons.

I also tried changing with the different icon themes installed on my system such as Tela dark, oxygen, breeze dark, and breeze.
-no changes in the missing icons

Delete the icon cache… :point_down:

rm -f ~/.cache/*.kcache

Best is to do this from a tty while completely logged out of Plasma.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I entered into tty2 after a restart,

did the following with no issues:

rm -f ~/.cache/*.kcache

Restarted again, but everything still looks the same. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I’m not sure if this information would prove helpful.
But prior to this error, and perhaps the cause of it, was a bug that I had where I was unable to load my DE.

Where I failed installing icu (75.1-1) breaks dependency ‘libicui18n.so=74-64’ I had to reinstall it with wget which then let me load back my DE and use my system.

This was the guide I followed I think

hxxps://www.reddit[.]com/r/archlinux/comments/1cydxhs/libicuucso75_icu_package_update_issues/

Do you mean you reinstalled the outdated version? If so then your system is probably broken until you are fully up-to-date.

1 Like

I was able to manually install it back by following OPs instructions here. :point_down:
hxxps://www.reddit[.]com/r/archlinux/comments/1cydxhs/libicuucso75_icu_package_update_issues/

I believe I have the correct version now.

This is the version I got:
hxxps://archive.archlinux[.]org/packages/i/icu/icu-75.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

OP = Original Post or Original Poster, whichever is convenient. In this case the OP is you, which makes no obvious sense.

Quick tip:

Placing a full URL between two backtick characters will allow others to easily select and copy a link, without having to manually reconstruct it.

For example:

https://duckduckgo.com

Cheers.

OP = Original Post or Original Poster, whichever is convenient. In this case the OP is you , which makes no obvious sense.

Sorry, didn’t specify. When I meant I followed OP’s instruction, I meant the OP for the reddit post that I provided the link for.

Placing a full URL between two backtick characters will allow others to easily select and copy a link, without having to manually reconstruct it.

Oh wow, that’s a useful tip! Thanks :+1:

1 Like

Sorry for delayed reply, been sitting in my drafts for a couple of days. A query:

Is this a system upgraded from Plasma5, and if so, did you do this from a TTY as instructed in the Stable Update Announcement thread? If not, I’d expect such unexpected results.

2 Likes

Oh no! I didn’t do that

This issue did happen after the large update in May. I just updated like normal and didn’t think it would break anything.

I did the update in the GUI and not in a tty :astonished:

Is there anything you think I can do now to fix it?
I didn’t have timeshift turned on :skull:

I had a read through there and I think that I messed myself up by not following it.

What do you recommend I do now?

So far my ideas are reinstalling my DE?
That might fix any broken things in the background

Switching to an unstable or testing branch, maybe that upgrade can install replacement packages that might fix things?

These are just some ideas that I thought up on recently.

I’d say reinstalling the DE isn’t too bad of an option. It might replace some missing or still-outdated stuff. You should at least keep the programs and settings you have, but definitely do that whilst logged-out of the Desktop Environment, and in a TTY.

I’d considered at one point switching branches but this won’t necessarily clobber the bits which are problematic; some packages might not get updated for a while if there are no changes.

It would be a useful experiment at least.

I would advise properly setting up e.g. Timeshift and doing a backup first, though.