I3wm config randomly runs (or not) scripts

In my i3 config file I have many scripts that I want to run when i3 starts, including a script to select a wallpaper and another to run polybar. Both of these scripts worked perfectly for more than a year, but suddenly they started behaving strangely: sometimes none of them run, sometimes just one of them run and sometimes only half of the script runs (wtf).

What I mean by only running half of the script is that, for example, polybar might kill all instances of polybar (first line) but not run my bar (second line), or the wal script might change the colors as intended, but not set the wallpaper.

All other scripts in the config run perfectly fine, except for these two. Running them individually in the terminal always works.

This is a part of .config/i3/config:

exec_always --no-startup-id /usr/bin/change-wallpaper
exec_always --no-startup-id $HOME/.config/polybar/launch.sh

This is change-wallpaper (I use pywal):

#!/bin/sh
files=(/home/marlon/Pictures/Wallpapers/*)
wal -i "${files[RANDOM % ${#files[@]}]}"

And this is the script for launching polybar:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
killall -q polybar

polybar bar1 >>/tmp/polybar1.log 2>&1 &

If I remove the change-wallpaper from the config, polybar runs perfectly fine all the time.

I have already tried using the full path, change the order, use only one script that does both of these things, but nothing worked so far.

Weird… an alternative one-linear for backgrounds is

exec_always --no-startup-id feh --randomize --bg-scale $HOME/marlon/Pictures/Wallpapers/*

Although this randomizes every time you refresh i3.