I upgraded my hardware Linux wont boot

Hello there,
So i upgraded my pc hardware. The new mainboard dont recognize my SSD with Manjaro but does recognize my other SSD with windows10. In windows10 i can access the other SSDs (one with manjaro and the other just ext4).
Any ideas what the problem could be and how to fix? I assume the bootsection of the installtion is roasted for some reason. But how to fix? I prefer not to clean install on to the main SSD
Best,

Boot a live ISO, try to manjaro-chroot into the existing OS on the not-recognized SSD and restore the boot-loader. Then try to boot from that SSD via firmware.

2 Likes

So

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$  lsblk -o PATH,PTTYPE,PARTTYPE,FSTYPE,PARTTYPENAME,SIZE 
PATH       PTTYPE PARTTYPE                             FSTYPE   PARTTYPENAME                   SIZE
/dev/loop0                                             squashfs                               71.2M
/dev/loop1                                             squashfs                              905.7M
/dev/loop2                                             squashfs                                1.8G
/dev/loop3                                             squashfs                              755.6M
/dev/sda   dos                                                                               931.5G
/dev/sda1  dos    0x83                                 ext4     Linux                        931.5G
/dev/sdb   gpt                                                                               119.2G
/dev/sdb1  gpt    de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac ntfs     Windows recovery environment   499M
/dev/sdb2  gpt    c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b vfat     EFI System                     100M
/dev/sdb3  gpt    e3c9e316-0b5c-4db8-817d-f92df00215ae          Microsoft reserved              16M
/dev/sdb4  gpt    ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7 ntfs     Microsoft basic data         118.1G
/dev/sdb5  gpt    de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac ntfs     Windows recovery environment   559M
/dev/sdc                                               ext4                                  465.8G
/dev/sdd   dos                                         iso9660                                14.7G
/dev/sdd1  dos    0x0                                  iso9660  Empty                          3.6G
/dev/sdd2  dos    0xef                                 vfat     EFI (FAT-12/16/32)               4M
/dev/sde   dos                                                                                 192K
/dev/sde1  dos    0xe                                  vfat     W95 FAT16 (LBA)              160.5K
/dev/sdf                                                                                         0B
/dev/sdg                                                                                         0B
/dev/sdh                                                                                         0B
/dev/sdi                                                                                         0B

So sda(1) is the Linux SSD.
So i

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ manjaro-chroot -a
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdd1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdd1.  Check your device.map.
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sda1]
 --> mount: [/mnt]
[manjaro /]# 

then i (can i limit this update to the importent updates? i have currently very slow internet and its like 6.5gb)

[manjaro /]# pacman -Syu grub

So now i have to choose either the EFI or the BIOS Part buw how do i know what system do i have?

@edit i choose the BIOS part because the efi one aint working. Seems like /boot/efi isnt existing.

But even tho it didnt end in an error the SSD still aint bootable

It seems you have installed Windoze in UEFI mode on an gpt parted disk and Linux in BIOS mode on a msdos parted disk. This is possible but will later-on not allow you to boot from grub’s boot menu into Windoze. So, first you should decide if this is OK for you.

If it’s OK, then redo and proceed with this. If you have errors post them.

Otherwise, I would backup your files on the Linux partition and re-install it in UEFI mode after formatting the disk /dev/sda in gpt.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.