I need some guidance with making my printer work(HP Laserjet 1018)

Hello
i plugged the printer and it got recognized.
when i try to print i get the following message:

Screenshot_20220927_190537

and when i try to go through the setup,one of the steps is the following one:

Screenshot_20220927_191108

so what should i install and from where?
is it hplip-plugin from the AUR, or foo2zjs, or try what i got in the pop-up(download from an HP authorized server)?

all cups services are installed and active.

Since the recommended option is selected, just click next, it should download the plug-in.

You can also find instructions here: HP Developers Portal | What is the HPLIP Binary Plug-In and How Do I Install It?

this option of downloading outside of the repository seems weird to me,
and Iā€™ve seen people here having success with the two other packages i mentioned(but not this one),so i thought Iā€™d ask first.

hi,
point No.5 is explaining it:

i saw what you wrote there,but i also so this:

so it appears to not be a good idea to download directly from HP.

Thatā€™s how Iā€™ve been doing it for years. The printer is not needed for weeks, but thenā€¦ printing works flawless, but the scanner will ask for plugin. Usually I choose direct download from HP. It has happened that the connection refused, then I visit the liked HP-site and download the matching plugin manually and select ā€œlocal copyā€.

Again: stable - testing - unstable are weeks apart. So are versions from time to time. Noobs see an AUR update >>> clic >>> think about that.

up to you

what version would i need from HP Developers Portal | Plugins ?
i see that i currently have this one provided by Manjaro
Screenshot_20220927_225652

EDIT
i just saw this page:
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/gethplip

You havenā€™t read my post.
You will be asked to install a plugin.
If the automatic way donā€™t work (can take some minutes), then use the manuall way.

• hplip-3.22.6-plugin.run

• hplip-3.22.6-plugin.run.asc

matching plugin and verification.

2 Likes

For future fast access better store this link:

Hi @linub ,
I agree with both @ydar and @banjo.

I wonder whether you could post the output of the following terminal command, in order to verify you have the hp-laserjet_1018.ppd.gz available to install the printer.

ls /usr/share/ppd/HP/ | grep laserjet_1018

The directory above is the one whether you can search the ppd file.

Then, go to the the end of the following page:
ā€˜HP Developers Portal | What is the HPLIP Binary Plug-In and How Do I Install It?ā€™

and follow the instructions.

Hope it help, regards

1 Like

Unless there is a Manjaro user which uses the specific printer - it may take some head-against-the-wall before you get it right

Thereā€™s quite a few suggestions around the globe

1 Like

trying the automatic way yielded an error about checksum or corrupted file.

i downloaded both
hhplip-3.22.6-plugin.run
hplip-3.22.6-plugin.run.asc

[it needs to match the HPLIP software version you have; you can see this in the ā€˜HP device managerā€™ under Help>About
also to download these files you need to right click on them and from the context menu choose ā€œSave link asā€,or itā€™ll just open in a new tab.]

then chose the Manual(Advanced)method and browsed to where i saved both those files,followed the instructions,it completed successfully and i was able to print.

it wasnā€™t obvious for me at first that the plugins are like the ā€˜guest additions in Virtualboxā€™ to the HPLIP software provided by Manjaro.

also i wasnā€™t to fond of having to put my password while installing this proprietary plugin.

Thanks everyone.

Hi @linub ,
Did you try to install the printer with the CUPS web interface, as @linux-aarhus suggests?

I think this is the best solution for you. You can find the steps to install the printer in the following post in Manjaro Wiki.
ā€˜Printing - Manjaroā€™

Hope it help, regards

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.