I need openssl-1.1. After system upgrade I have v3 and pacman -S openssl-1.1 finds conflicts

I just did a system upgrade and now I have openssl 3.0.8-1. I tried to upgrade my rstudio-desktop-bin but it says it needs openssl-1.1. I tried to install openssl-1.1 but it has conflicts. Does anyone know how to get rstudio-desktop-bin to work with the current stable branch?

Trying rstudio-desktop-bin install:

[mcsimenc@mcsimenc rstudio-desktop-bin]$ makepkg -si PKGBUILD 
==> Making package: rstudio-desktop-bin 2023.03.0.386-2 (Sun 26 Mar 2023 12:52:43 AM PDT)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Installing missing dependencies...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) openssl-1.1-1.1.1.t-1

Total Installed Size:  5.52 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                          [#############################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                        [#############################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                             [#############################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                       [#############################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
openssl-1.1: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.1 exists in filesystem
openssl-1.1: /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.1 exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
==> ERROR: 'pacman' failed to install missing dependencies.
==> Missing dependencies:
  -> openssl-1.1
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> ERROR: Could not resolve all dependencies.

Trying openssl-1.1 install:

[mcsimenc@mcsimenc rstudio-desktop-bin]$ sudo pacman -S openssl-1.1
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) openssl-1.1-1.1.1.t-1

Total Installed Size:  5.52 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                          [#############################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                        [#############################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                             [#############################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                       [#############################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Hi @mcsimenc,

OpenSSL was changed quite a while ago. Perhaps you missed it? Anyway, you can have both installed, I do:

$ pamac search openssl
[...]
openssl-1.1                                                                                                                                                                                          [Installed] 1.1.1.t-1                        core
The Open Source toolkit for Secure Sockets Layer and Transport Layer Security
openssl                                                                                                                                                                                              [Installed] 3.0.8-1                          core
The Open Source toolkit for Secure Sockets Layer and Transport Layer Security

They’re both in the core repository, so install version 1.1 with:

pamac install openssl-1.1

Hope this helps!

Thanks @Mirdarthos. At the bottom of my post I showed that I was not able to install openssl-1.1. It finds conflicts with libcryto and libssl.

Maybe

pacman -Qo /usr/lib/lib{crypto,ssl}.so.1.1

would show the conflicting package?

Awesome, @Takakage, thank you. This shows “No package owns” (below). So it seems probably it is not being used by anything in the system since I did an upgrade? I can manually remove them and try to install v1.1 again but I don’t want to break anything and I know these are important files. But if everything is relying on v3 now it should be ok, right?

$ sudo pacman -Qo /urs/lib/lib{crypto,ssl}.so.1.1
error: No package owns /urs/lib/libcrypto.so.1.1
error: No package owns /urs/lib/libssl.so.1.1

you have these:

which are usually the result of a messed up update, or when installing from non official sources, so use overwrite:

sudo pacman -S openssl-1.1 --overwrite '*'
1 Like

Thanks @brahma. The Arch system maintenance wiki recommends not using --overwrite, but I just want to not screw anything important depending on these files. But since I did a system update I expect everything important should be depending on openssl v3 and maybe something I installed from AUR is depending on these. I will try it when I can afford to spend some time fixing things if it does break something and report here if it does.

You made a type-error (in /urs), the correct command is :

sudo pacman -Qo /usr/lib/lib{crypto,ssl}.so.1.1

which no doubt will show you that openssl-1.1 is already installed…

Note: to be on the safe side, best to make a timeshift backup before doing any updates :wink: .
Cheers,
Eddy

1 Like

Great catch @Oldhabbits. The correct command shows unowned package as well though…and they are there (below). Suggestions?

$ ls -1 /usr/lib/lib{crypto,ssl}.so.1.1
/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.1
/usr/lib/libssl.so.1.1

$ sudo pacman -Qo /usr/lib/lib{crypto,ssl}.so.1.1
error: No package owns /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.1
error: No package owns /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.1

Another idea is to install rstudio-desktop, which replaces rstudio-desktop-bin. It has a dependency on openssl but not openssl-1.1. The downside is having a longer build step, idk how long, as it would be compiling from source.

1 Like

Just remove those two files manually then, and install the “real” openssl-1.1 package with pamac or pacman. No harm will come upon you if you do both things in succession… Reboot afterwards…
Cheers,
Eddy

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.