I have suddenly lost the ability to post links and pics?

Yes, but this support is not made by volunteered community. It shouldn’t be that much to read some pages. Nobody expect any professions or that you have to be a professional linux user. Coming, getting support and giving a **** of the community is a behavior that i hate. Nobody expects that you must invest time, when you really don’t have time, but “bidirectional” doesn’t mean you have to do the same what you get from others. There are also other things what can be done for a community driven project. But ok that is totally offtopic now. [/end]

Yeah … it depends …
at some point I will refresh the old
No-Install public command-line pastebin services - Tutorials - Manjaro Linux Forum
No-Install public command-line file sharing services - Tutorials - Manjaro Linux Forum

(and then even if you cant posts links … its not very hard to say ‘0x0.st /iEYd.txt’ … its 4 chars and an ext)

1 Like

Im sure you are right. I only really use them when i think it will help the reader. However, i am sure i am biased because i am dyslexic, i have 2 spell checkers and a grammar checker and my text is still a mess. They say a picture says a thousand words but in my case its about 100,000.
What about external links though? I mean whats the harm.
Regardless as i said originally “showing a pic or dumping a pastebin log sometimes.” I don’t use them if i don’t think they will help. I shall definitely try though.

yes i am TL1 already.

Ok, I hear what you are saying. There is so much that can pull your time over the net, no one can be dedicated to all of it so choices have to be made (not to mention work) but that certainly does not mean i do not appreciate the support and help offered :slight_smile:

The harm is advertising,bots,spam,self-promotion,NSFW,bandwidth,etc,etc.
Theres lots of harm in allowing anyone to just post pictures and links.
But there are also advantages.
Such as offloading those costs (like server storage) to other places.
Thats why I also noted the pastebin services above.
As well as suggesting we make a handful of such services ‘white-listed’ for all users.

2 Likes

Nice, is there a list in Faq maybe?

I suggested it … hasnt happened yet.

1 Like

I thought this was changed to TL1 recently. It is not?

Maybe, the settings get changed far too often for me to understand

I’ve just resorted to putting links as code text in a previous post of mine.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/pinebook-pro-emmc-installer/19244/3

Not sure if the link ban is actually doing anything but hindering.

1 Like

that’s pretty neat.

Almost like a cheating :smiley: it also has the copy to clipboard feature.

Yeah, more got changed that is different from the actual Discourse Trust Levels. Hence why I made this post.

1 Like

Having it in the FAQ would be nice; though I doubt the number of threads opened about it would be impacted. But at least it would have a clear explanation about it; whereas now I am not sure what the exact criteria for TL2 even is.

But the mods don’t seem interested in addressing this, rather just replying to every thread opened about it.

Another thing though, is that the FAQ isn’t an actual FAQ - like there aren’t any questions and answers; it’s more of just Forum Rules than anything else.

The criteria to become TL2 is still the same from my experience:

Get to trust level 2 by…

• Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
  • Casting at least 1 like
  • Receiving at least 1 like
  • Replying to at least 3 different topics
  • Entering at least 20 topics
  • Reading at least 100 posts
  • Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

My guess is, TL level was modified by the Manjaro team and some features of the TL1 level were moved to TL2 level. Yeah, I know, it’s frustrating, but it’s just few days away till you get it, if you are using the forum.
It’s frustrating for us who want help because we can’t use the forum freely, it’s frustrating for newbies searching for help who cannot contribute much at this moment. I would suggest looking around, reading some topics, give some likes, maybe comment if you have something valuable to say.

However, the thing is, pictures and links are more needed for the helpers then for the newbies who are expected to post text outputs.

Yep, everything you say i agree with. I think im currently about 60-70 “topics read” & 7 days away from TL2. Not 100% sure but i think so.

well i would if i had anything that would not just be getting in the way. I’m not good enough to sort my own problems out let alone others. So you really dont we me to start throwing my 2 cents anywhere :stuck_out_tongue:

I do like @yosukemat’s “run around” for links though. I have been using fredDOTcom type thing but formatting urls in his way is much nicer.

1 Like

So then what about error dialogues where the only option originally would be to take a capture of a window? IMO that isn’t a waste of time because not everybody will run an application from the terminal first-hand or understand that they could do that in the first place, encounter their error and provide sufficient output.

What if the error is with another machine that’s in a TTY? Definitely no copy and paste happening there, especially if it’s an issue with X that caused the problem originally and the only other option is a smartphone because their live session media was formatted for general use long ago.

Couldn’t there be a way to have an allotment of images per month or something? I don’t understand why it has to be all or nothing here.

This is all handled by something like this (I will make that tut at some point again I swear):

Indeed, what is the point if people get around it in some way anyway.

2 Likes

Because it generally requires Copy and Paste action + confirmation with Return key.

Somehow it’s not spam if it’s not a click away. :smiley:

The url scanning should happen in codeblocks to though.