I hate Windows- Is manjaro the saviour?

Hey, I’m new to linux and i love it. Now i hate windows because of it. I found ubuntu hard and a friend of mine (@nazibalalam) recommended this to me. He said that manjaro was awesome and the community was more awesome. I believed him because I saw he spent most of his time on the forum. But I want more convincement from you guys.

The trouble is everyone is going to try and convince you their favourite distro is best. I mean, I have two friends thats swears by Ubuntu. Although, I don’'t really know if that’s changed by this time.

For what it’s worth, I found it very easy to switch from Windoze to Manjaro. And I’ve been almost everywhere. I find Manjaro much easier than Ubuntu and not nearly as temperamental as Winblows.

You’ll have to try and decide for yourself. It might be for you, it might not. That’s the beauty of having all the distributions out there.

Edit:

guyz guys*. That’s actually not “cool”, “hip” or “in” by the way.

1 Like

This is always helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is the kind of thread not meant to be on this forum I think. This usually get closed fairly quickly because not the scope of this forum.

2 Likes

Give it a try and see by yourself. :wink:

1 Like

If you hate Windows then you’ll probably love any Linux distro. Personally I think the desktop is more important than the distro if you are coming from Windows and. I recommend cinnamon or budgie for any Windows user coming over as they are super stable and easy to learn coming from Windows. Manjaro is extremely user friendly but remember it’s a rolling release so occasionally you will have to fix issues yourself.

Asking for trouble.
I grew to hate Windows, I learned a fair bit, but wasn’t good enough to stop it going bad (Vista was the final nail for me).
So I switched to Ubuntu…wow, no wifi and no internet - how to solve that?

Linux isn’t so much less painful in many ways… some things are great, but some things suck big-time. Sound and Graphics are great examples of things that suck in Linux (WTF for a graphical interface that’s pretty sad… improving, but still a massive stack of manure that needs clearing up).

Pick up a bargain NVidia, get a printer without doing heavy research, grab a $3 dongle that should work easily, plug in your phone - let the nightmare begin.

I managed to survive 14 years so far - Windows is a foreign place for me now with alien ways of doing thing (like that ‘point and click’ thing, limited gestures and shortcuts etc) and I wouldn’t go there…

But there’s no denying that it works, and for most folks it’s pretty incident free and stable for getting the work done if you know how to get it set up.

So play with Linux, but try not to be too much of a fanboy - nobody likes those.

That depends on the definition of works. If you mean that IT works, while you leave it alone and don’t touch it, then yes. To a point. If you mean, it works for and with you as you work as well, then only to a point and even then it takes some scrouging to get it to do what you need it to do. I have a friend that chucked Windows for Ubuntu solely because his work couldn’t be done in Windows, it kept gobbling up his 32GBs of RAM, complaining it needs moar!

Until it’s not and the paw-paw strikes the fan.

And, sadly most people don’t. Although that might be changing. Albeit only slowly.

After reinstalling Windows several times, fiddling with registry settings and still getting blue screens i hate Windows too.
At 2 o’clock in the morning i threw my PC out of my window in rage after trying to fix what’s not fixable.
Migrated to Ubuntu (5 different flavors), Solus, …
There was always something wrong (difficult user experience, ppa, incompatiblities,…)
Finally switched to Manjaro XFCE two years ago, but it was very minimalistic and had issues when using dual monitors over USB-C (Alt mode).
Then tried Manjaro KDE and since never looked back.
It simply works, always. And it’s easy to use (there is a thread “KDE is great” for a reason).
I even play most Windows games on Steam without issues out of the box (NFS Most Wanted, Battlefront 1 + 2, Victor Vran, Uboat,…)
It’s great to see 0.7GB RAM in use after reboot, on Windows it was like 4,5GB, which made the system slow when doing additional work.
No reinstall required since, and still functioning like on day 1 (no slowing, no bugs, …)

I’m happy!

Hi Happy!

3 Likes

Only you can decide if Linux and in particular a certain distribution is right for you. Many people experiment first with different distros to see if a particular distribution is right for them. When I started I used a variety of them and landed at Manjaro.

Somethings to consider:

• How do you use your computer? Do you like to find out how an OS works or do you just like to use an OS and not do too much “under the hood” tinkering.

• Are you an artist? Do you do music, digital art, etc. Some OS are more specialized and cater to people who do music, or do digital art for example.

• Will other people you know will they use the computer? Will it be easy for them to use the OS you choose, etc.

Welcome to Linux and if you decide on using Manjaro, this forum is full of fantastic people who will help if you need it.

One thing that helped me in researching distributions in Linux was DistroWatch, but I only used it for checking the descriptions of different distributions. They also have the links to the home pages of many distributions as well as screenshots.
The link is https://distrowatch.com/

If you are using Windows or Linux you can use Virtualbox to test different distributions and see how well they work with the hardware on your computer.

Hope this helps and welcome!

1 Like

Hello @Neamul_Alam,

Your friend knows more about you and what you do with your computer. Trust your friend. :slight_smile:

You haven’t told us what you are going to use Manjaro for: gaming, trading stocks and shares, forced to rent Adobe ransomware, etc. If you have to share MS Office docs with 100% reliability with others who only have MS Office, you may want to keep Windows for those things and install Manjaro separately. I run Windows in a virtual machine (running Windows inside Manjaro with a virtual computer) for those occasions where I have to use Windows only software, which is convenient because I don’t need to reboot into Windows.

Remember, you can run Manjaro from a Live USB, so you don’t have to install anything on your computer to try it out.

That said, you may want to find out if the software you use now is available on Linux, or find Linux alternatives, such as replacing PhotoShop with GIMP.

Try it and see if it works for you.

I dumped Windows back in 1998, although I still keep it around because I need it for my work.

I’ve used a multitude of different distributions and finally settled for Manjaro some 7 years ago, and I used Arch before that.

As for Desktop Environments I used KDE until version 4, since then I used XFCE but a few weeks ago I switched back to KDE and won’t look back. XFCE is supposed to be a lightweight DE bit it actually uses more resources than KDE and it’s far less functional and customizable.

Linux is not without is problems, depending on the hardware you have you’ll have a trouble free experience or a few headaches, especially if you use NVIDIA graphics.

Just as a suggestion, put ventoy on a flash drive, download all distro flavors you want to try and settle with the one you like most.

https://www.ventoy.net/

Linux is not your saviour - period.

You will be having issues - probably not the same but nonetheless - Linux is not your plank to keep on floating.

5 Likes

:+1:t2: i would describe it as very immature, so rather fitting to Windows …

Stay on Windows!

An operating system should do what I ask of it. I don’t care if it’s called Windows or Linux. And words like hate should be saved for other occasions, otherwise they will be missing at the right time.

1 Like

Also true…

1 Like

i made the change around two moths ago and my first impression was (still is) that windows performs much better in most areas.
maybe more knowledgeable persons with the right hardware and enough tinkering can get to the same performance.
i chose Linux mainly for privacy reasons and wanted to have full control over what is done in my OS and more freedom to do so.
one of the plus i appreciate is having much more ram to spare for my VMs.

i hugely enjoy Manjaro/Arch and all that revolves around it,
i am still trying other Distros in VMs for the fun of it and the learning experience.

it’s up to you to make the choice of which Distro fits you and you’re hardware the best.

1 Like

GPU drivers are behind in linux, especially on newer hardware. Older hardware tends to be faster.

Anything compute intensive or server related is way ahead in linux vs Windows.

2 Likes