I get a Black screen at boot

I have Manjaro KDE installed alongside Ubuntu 22.04, but suddenly I can’t start Manjaro.
The screen goes black.
This happened after trying to add a new mouse widget, which now seems to not allow the graphics drive to start.
I tried restarting with startx and other ways but nothing helps.
Maybe the only way is to reinstall Manjaro, but I don’t know how to do it so as not to harm the grub system
Thanks for any help
Josef

Hi @josefcarel,

I believe this would be helpful:

And perhaps this:

Hope you manage!

@Mirdarthos

We might be seeing less of these occurrences soon, if this is related:

What is great to start 2024? With a new update to our testing branch. This time we think the blocker packages systemd, mesa and plymouth should work just fine. Let us know if you still see some regressions.

Ref: Testing Update 2024-01-08

We can only hope…

I hope I understood the process well.
I’ll try to do it.
Thank you for your advice
Josef

I’m sorry but I didn’t have success, it’s very complicated for me.
But I must clarify that I think my problem is not the Grub, because it does appear at the beginning, and the screen goes black after choosing Manjaro.
So I guess I have to find a way to start the graphics driver. Hope you can help with this issue.
Thanks anyway
Josef

If it’s installed, it’s installed. You don’t need to start anything.

However, I would now suggest a chroot environment, from where you can re-sync everything. So, enter a chroot environment:

How to chroot

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with a still supported LTS kernel.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot encironment:

manjaro-chroot -a
  1. If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

When done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment on your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart.

From there, rum a complete update to re-sync everything:

pamac upgrade && pamac upgrade --aur --devel || echo -e '\033[0;91mThere was an error upgrading the system. AUR packages not upgraded.\e[0m'

This will update your system and ONLY if that was successful update any AUR packages.

a Reminder: While use of the AUR is possible, it’s neither recommended nor supported.

I recommend pamac instead of pacman, especially for newcomers as pamac was developed by Manajaro (developers) for Manjaro and just takes care of more thing than pacman. For example:

Reboot and test. If it works, awesome! If it doesn’t, re-enter the chroot environment, and please provide the output of:

mhwd-kernel --list

and

mhwd-kernel --listinstalled

And:

awk -F\'\'' '\''/menuentry / {print $2}'\'' /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Because it seems it’s wonky and needs help to become less wonky.

The cause of your issue is likely an incompatible widget. You will have to remove that widget from your configuration.

You may find it referenced in

~/.config/plasmashellrc

or

~/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids
2 Likes

I finally decided to install Manjaro from scratch although now I have to recover al the previous installations. Thanks for your advice
Josef

1 Like