I can't upload most files (exported myself) to any website on Chromium based apps

Title: Issue with Video Uploads on Manjaro using Chromium-Based Applications

Description:
I’ve encountered a persistent problem when attempting to upload videos from my Manjaro machine using Chromium-based applications, including Brave browser and Electron-based apps like Discord. Upon trying to upload, the platform consistently reports that the uploaded videos are empty, leading to a failed upload.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open Chromium-based application (such as Brave browser or Discord) on a Manjaro installation.
  2. Navigate to a platform or website that supports video uploads.
  3. Attempt to upload a video file from the local machine to the platform.

Expected Result:
The video should be successfully uploaded to the platform without any errors or issues.

Chromium Version (check About Brave):
Version 1.65.83 Chromium: 123.0.6312.46 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

Additional Information:

• This issue occurs consistently on Manjaro using Chromium-based applications.
  • The video files are confirmed to be intact and compatible with the platform’s upload requirements.
  • Uploading videos using other browsers like Firefox does not result in the same issue, suggesting it may be specific to Chromium.
  • I can only attach specific files such as downloaded files or screenshots taken by Spectacle from Manjaro.

Demonstrations:

How did you install chromium or brave? Is it maybe Flatpak or Snap?

I can replicate with Brave installed from Flatpak and Drag’n’drop from the file browser. Selecting a file works, however.

1 Like

Check if firejail is installed and if it is use Firejail Configuration Wizard to check folder access permissions for Chromium.

1 Like

I installed it with Manjaro package manager, no idea why this is happening.

Firejail isn’t installed, should I install it and create an enviroment?

Firejail doesn’t seem to work properly with brave sadly.

~ > firejail brave-beta
Reading profile /etc/firejail/default.profile
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-common.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-programs.inc

** Note: you can use --noprofile to disable default.profile **

Parent pid 21072, child pid 21073
Warning: /sbin directory link was not blacklisted
Warning: /usr/sbin directory link was not blacklisted
Child process initialized in 48.20 ms
chrome_crashpad_handler: --database is required
Try ‘chrome_crashpad_handler --help’ for more information.
[11:11:0319/141815.372584:ERROR:socket.cc(120)] recvmsg: Connection reset by peer (104)
/opt/brave.com/brave-beta/brave-browser: line 48: 11 Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped) “$HERE/brave” “$@”

Parent is shutting down, bye…
~ >

Maybe check to see if xdg-desktop-portal is installed? I have both xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-gtk installed. There are other backends for Gnome, KDE, etc. depending on your desktop environment.

1 Like

I’ve managed to identify the root cause of the issue. It appears that the applications I was attempting to use for uploads weren’t able to access certain home folders, such as ‘./Videos’. To resolve this problem, I recreated the necessary folders, ensuring they had the appropriate permissions for write access.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.