I have a problem with the printing system in Manjaro KDE
At the beginning I had no issues with my printer, everything was working flawless. BTW the printer is a Samsung ML-1660
After a system update (I think it was in the first week of February or maybe the last one of January), I noticed that I couldn’t print anything. I didn’t think it was very important, commonly those kind of errors are fixed in following updates.
I knew the problem was not the printer because I could print through a virtual machine
But now, that another update and kernel has been released and installed and I still cannot print anything I’m here asking for help.
Every time that I try to print something, a led in the printer starts blinking (like it’s getting ready to print) but then nothing happens, and if I try to do it a second time then the printer pulls a sheet of paper and print something, but all that a get is an almost-blank printing with this message:
INTERNAL ERROR - Including Corrupted Data
POSITION : 0x1bd3c (113980) - - This changes every try - -
SYSTEM : h6fw_5.37_01/x1_image
LINE : 154
VERSION : SPL 5.37.01 10-05-2010
It doesn’t matter the kind of file that is sent (or even if is a test print) the behavior is always the same
I’ve tried to enable the CUPS service manually doing
Yeah I’m sure that this issue started this year, actually in January I printed a lot of things and I always do my best to have my system updated.
I already tried to run the same commands you mention, but basically I get the same results.
[josh@manjaro ~]$ sudo systemctl disable --now org.cups.cupsd.socket
Failed to disable unit: Unit file org.cups.cupsd.socket does not exist.
[josh@manjaro ~]$ sudo systemctl disable --now org.cups.cupsd.service
Failed to disable unit: Unit file org.cups.cupsd.service does not exist.
[josh@manjaro ~]$ sudo systemctl disable --now org.cups.cupsd.path
Failed to disable unit: Unit file org.cups.cupsd.path does not exist.
[josh@manjaro ~]$ sudo systemctl enable --now cups.service
[josh@manjaro ~]$ sudo systemctl enable --now cups.socket
[josh@manjaro ~]$ sudo systemctl enable --now cups.path
[josh@manjaro ~]$ sudo systemctl enable --now cups
[josh@manjaro ~]$ pacman -Ql cups | grep systemd
[josh@manjaro ~]$ ls -lR /etc/systemd/ | grep cups
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 feb 23 20:01 cups.path -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/cups.path
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 feb 23 20:01 cups.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/cups.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 feb 23 20:01 cups.socket -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/cups.socket
The main issue is that the system apparently has no problem identifying the hardware, it always detects and installs automatically the printer every time I remove it from the system and connect it again, I can see the printer ready to print in any program, but every time I try to send something I get the same, those error lines and no more.
I don’t know, maybe for some reason I need to change to that new cupsd thing, but I have no idea how to do that.
The way I do that (using octopi) is looking for any package with the word ‘cups’ in it and removing it, I clean the cache and then I restart the system to check whether there is or not a printing service running, and once I see there’s no way to even detect the printer I reinstall them all and restart again. only to watch how the printer is auto detected and installed again, but without printing capabilities.
I’m pretty newby in this, and maybe I’m achieving nothing doing that, but that’s what I’ve tried in order to solve the issue.