Hypnotix got broken after today update

I just got an update for the program and it won’t start anymore (3.3-1). I recompile it but with no luck. I downgrade it to version 3.2-1 and this one works. I guess it has something to do with python ?

hypnotix.py:39459): Gtk-WARNING **: 05:52:24.197: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5597:11: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(hypnotix.py:39459): Gtk-WARNING **: 05:52:24.197: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5597:14: '0' is not a valid color name

(hypnotix.py:39459): Gtk-WARNING **: 05:52:24.197: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5831:14: '202020' is not a valid color name

(hypnotix.py:39459): Gtk-WARNING **: 05:52:24.197: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5846:20: Junk at end of value for border-width

(hypnotix.py:39459): Gtk-WARNING **: 05:52:24.197: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5871:20: Junk at end of value for border-width

(hypnotix.py:39459): Gtk-WARNING **: 05:52:24.197: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5898:20: Junk at end of value for border-width
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/hypnotix/hypnotix.py", line 109, in activate
    window = MainWindow(self)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/hypnotix/hypnotix.py", line 309, in __init__
    self.dark_mode_manager = XApp.DarkModeManager.new(prefer_dark_mode=True)
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 32, in __getattr__
    return getattr(self._introspection_module, name)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/gi/module.py", line 126, in __getattr__
    raise AttributeError("%r object has no attribute %r" % (
AttributeError: 'gi.repository.XApp' object has no attribute 'DarkModeManager'

Moderator edit: Fixed package versions for posterity

same here. seems that hypnotix uses some specific “dark-theme” from linux-mint that is missing since latest update. i’m also looking for a solution but i have no idea.

Just downgrade to the previous version, for now.

i’ll do a reinstall and downgrade manjaro in full. hopefully this will fix it but actually manjaro is a mess in this state. i’ll keep it on 1 pc but i’ll switch to a different distro at the second one to have a working system. really, this manjaro-update is the 3rd pick into closet in a row and this update is the worst from all. even a basic testing should have shown that it is not worth to be released. i’ll wait that they clean up the mess they released and use a different distro till they do the math.

That requires xapp >2.5.0. We have 2.6.0 in our unstable branch.

:information_source: Using the AUR is neither officially supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Users are expected to be using Arch stable and fully up to date. Switch to the Manjaro unstable branch to avoid issues.

1 Like

even switching to testing messed up the system ! i don’t argue anymore. everything is said

You could just upgrade the package @Yochanan linked but testing isn’t the same as unstable, unstable is the closest to arch so the update isn’t in testing yet

1 Like

You don’t have to re-install or change branch. Just use the “downgrade” application which work fine. Then select the previous version like I always do.

sudo DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade “your program”

Switching to the unstable branch or an to other distro because of that ? really ? I have been using the “stable” one for years which is called “stable” for a reason. The only thing why I keep Manjaro over my other distros is the great AUR. I know you don’t support it officially but you can certainly help. Quite rarely I must say, an update will screw up one app but it is normally easy to fix with the downgrade program or some help here in the forum. That’s all there is to it.

nope, there was no version to downgrade avaiable. only changing to unstable gives access to xapp-2.6 that enables proper work. all-in this update is a mess because this wasn’t the only issue.

I just did it but are you installing it for the first time ?

yep, and my for so long only updated stable-branch collapsed. starting with non-working libre-office and so on…

nope, i was always updating

Hum anyway, my previous version (3.2) seems to be happy with my current “xapp” application which is still at 2.4.3.2.

Only if one has the package cached locally. Remember, ALA = Arch Linux Archive. It only contains Arch repo packages, not AUR packages or local packages one built themselves.

Then build 3.2-2:

sudo pacman -Syu --needed base-devel git
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/hypnotix.git
cd hypnotix
git checkout fe5eaddd77d8a62277b24f52ae7f869ff80f9223
makepkg -srcif

Then add hypnotix to IgnorePkg in your pacman.conf until xapp 2.6.0 or newer arrives in the stable branch.

2 Likes

Here too Hypnotix is broken but the error message is different:

mauro@Afrodesia ~]$ hypnotix
[mauro@Afrodesia ~]$ Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/hypnotix/hypnotix.py", line 28, in <module>
    from imdb import IMDb
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'imdb'

Suggestions?

python-imdbpy is deprecated and Arch dropped it from the repos. You now need python-cinemagoer which provides and conflicts with python-imdbpy.

1 Like

Thanks.
So, what can I do?
Can I fix Hypnotix without broke something else?

Read my replies here. I’ve already gone over everything.

Install python-cinemagoer from the AUR:

With Pamac:

pamac build --as-deps python-cinemagoer

or Yay:

yay -S --asdeps python-cinemagoer
1 Like

The problem has been resolved by the last update. Version 3.5.
Many Thanks to all involved.