hplip unable to work

[Excuse me, I don't know how I can properly control this stupid formatting of my post ... ] After the update stable 2019-11-14 scanning and printing with hplip is impossible. In Terminal hp-doctor says in excerpts:

"Checking for Deprecated items....
error: This distro (i.e manjarolinux  18.1.3) is either deprecated or not yet supported.
The diagnosis is limited on unsupported platforms. Do you want to continue?(y=yes*, n=no):
warning: 26-18.1.3 version is not supported. Using 26-18.1.0 versions dependencies to verify and install
warning: HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is not supported for 26 distro  18.1.3 version
error: python3-notify2 Python libnotify - Python bindings for the libnotify Desktop notifications OPTIONAL        -               -               MISSING    'python3-notify2 needs to be installed'
 error: python3-pyqt4-dbus PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4                         OPTIONAL        4.0             -               MISSING    'python3-pyqt4-dbus needs to be installed'
 error: python3-pyqt4 PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x)         REQUIRED        4.0             -               MISSING    'python3-pyqt4 needs to be installed'
 error: 'python-pyqt4' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'pygtk' package is missing/incompatible 
Missing Optional Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'python2-notify' package is missing/incompatible
Installing Missing/Incompatible packages
----------------------------------------
cmd =python-pyqt4
error: Failed to install 'python-pyqt4' package, please install manually. 
cmd =pygtk
error: Failed to install 'pygtk' package, please install manually. 
cmd =python2-notify
error: Failed to install 'python2-notify' package, please install manually."
sudo pacman -S python-pyqt4
[sudo] Passwort für user: 
Fehler: Ziel nicht gefunden: python-pyqt4

If I try to get from AUR: the package python-pyqt4 exists, it takes a sea of dependies and at the end I get:

"==> FEHLER: Ein Fehler geschah in build().
    Breche ab...
:: Unable to build pyqt4-common - makepkg exited with code: 4
"

At the end: hplip and my printer/scanner is unusable ...

Did you reboot for the dbus changes to take effect?

I rebooted often in the last days, even if I made a change on my computer.

1 Like

about which scanner/printer are we talking about?

cups (optional) - for printing support
libusb (optional) - for advanced usb support
python-pillow (optional) - for commandline scanning support
python-pyqt5 (optional) - for running GUI and hp-toolbox
python-reportlab (optional) - for pdf output in hp-scan
rpcbind (optional) - for network support
sane (optional) - for scanner support
wget (optional) - for network support
xsane (optional) - sane scanner frontend

hplib should be at least at 3.19.11-1. Check also if needed optional dependencies are installed ^^ python-pyqt5 is now be used for UI tools as qt4 is now depreciated.

1 Like

Dunno if it's relevant, but there used to be a missing dependency in 3.19.11-2, fixed in 3.19.11-3.

That is a problem with hp-doctor itself.
Seems internally it is still reffering to pyqt4 rather than pyqt5.

There is pyqt4 available in the AUR, you could try to install that one.

@Piotr: If I would be able to install my scanner, then I would have to try to install that plugins. But in the moment I cannot say, whether I would have have this problem.
@philm: I can open the toolbox. It says that there are no devices. If I let the toolbox look for a printer or scanner with a fixed IP or on its own way the result is
HPLIP cannot detect printers in your network. This may be due to existing firewall settings blocking the required ports. When you are in a trusted network environment, you may open the ports for network services like mdns and slp in the firewall. For detailed steps follow the link. http://hplipopensource.com/node/374
The same information is given if I use my terminal with the command "sudo hp-setup -i"
And because of the problem with python-pyqt5: It is installed. Here the information of my terminal: "trizen -Ss python-pyqt5
extra/pyqt5-common 5.13.2-1 [Installiert]
Common PyQt files shared between python-pyqt5 and python2-pyqt5
extra/python-pyqt5 5.13.2-1 [Installiert]
A set of Python 3.x bindings for the Qt5 toolkit".

@moson: Thank you for your proposal. I tried and trizen did a lot of installing because of many dependies, but then:"==> FEHLER: Ein Fehler geschah in build().
Breche ab...
:: Unable to build pyqt4-common - makepkg exited with code: 4
".

@m-bostaurus
python-pyqt4

Latest Comments

Viel Erfolg

@SpiritOfTux: Thank you and honestly spoken I'm not able to work with python ...

So you never ran the "hp-doctor" thing before since printing was working?
What if you downgrade that package to the previous version, does it work then?

@moson: I used hp-doctor the first after I noticed after last stable update, that my scanner "disappeared". Before update, everything worked fine. I'll downgrade the packege tomorrow morning and will then report the result at this place.

I downgraded the package hplip on one of my computers, which is always used for experiments, and it worked. Tomorrow I will do the same for productive use.

1 Like

OK, let us know if installing python-distro might help. Old packages you may find here. I check if the newer revisions help in some way ...

1 Like

@philm: python-distro had been installed: community/python-distro 1.4.0-1 [Installiert]
I deleted the current package and installed *19.8-2: extra/hplip 1:3.19.11-1 [Installiert: 1:3.19.8-2] This works on my productive computer.
Thank you very much for your efforts!

I have to apologize. The problem is not solved, because after a reboot the scanner is indeed recognized but does not react, even it made one time one copy. So downgrading is not really helpful.

I'm in a similar situation.
What is installed at the moment:

HP Device Manager (hplip)  1:3.19.11-1
python-distro  1.4.0-1

When running hp-doctor I get the same errors:

error: This distro (i.e manjarolinux 18.1.3) is either deprecated or not yet supported.

My printer/scanner is an HP Deskjet 2540.
If I run hp-uiscan it told me "no device connected" despite the fact that if i open HP Device Manager (hp-toolbox), my printer is there, is recognized, I can also see the status of cartridges; oddly if I run hp-scan from terminal, I can obtain a scanning from the scanner.

Using CUPS to print and a third party app to scan (eg Document Scanner or skanlite), everything is fine and functional.

I've been working on this problem for about five hours now. And now the scanner is working - mostly ...
It was a combination of the driver version and unfavorable network settings that caused that nothing worked. The problem isn't really solved because I've excluded the hplip package from updating at the moment, but I can now finally scan my documents again.

The day after ...
Everything works well on my computer (hplip 1:3.19.8-2).

Hi,
I have the same Problem with my HP MFP m281fdw. The update to 3.19.11 went well without errors. After that HP Setup was not able to find my printer eighter with manual IP.
I installed GFWU to check firewall Settings, but it doesn´t had any effect.
So I downgrade to 3.19.8 and printer was online within 1sec.

Michael

Forum kindly sponsored by